theres a good post on this forum from hippo in the link about abs

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default theres a good post on this forum from hippo in the link about abs

for the lazy ****:

My thoughts on ABS.

Track Use: I can lift my rear wheel during braking. The current ABS systems out aren't responsive enough for track use. Still too much pulsation and lock-release-lock than you find on car systems. I don't think I could recover the front end when leaned over if the ABS decided to pulse and lockup the front because I can't predict what the computer wants to do. I can (usually Wink ) recover a manually induced front end lock up though. The car systems are great and easily give less experienced drivers a boost compared to more experienced drivers (yaw control is awesome too). The problem on the track is that ABS makes the brakes unpredictable. A predictable bike is easier to ride than a bike whose braking manners change continually.

Road Use: That said, there is no way I can outbrake ABS in a road situation. I have no doubt that I can outbrake ABS on the track, but on the track, I'm typically only riding 15-30 minutes at a time with full concentration over immaculately maintained pavement that I will ride over and over and over all day. Those conditions just don't exist in the real world. On my average commute, I will be going over pavement that's changed from the day before (detritus, rain, sand, etc.) and probably not concentrating like I do on the track. Given just ONE chance to stop the bike, I know that computer will do it better than I can 9 times out of 10.

There are those people who say that they can beat ABS, but it's usually after several tries over the same pavement. That situation just doesn't happen in the real world. For example, if you let me pick the Lotto numbers after the drawing, I bet I could pick a winnner! Razz What are you going to say to the SUV that pulls out in front of you? Hey, dude, give me 10 tries to stop and I'll take the best one?

Also interesting is that different manufacturers have different 'G' limits for the ABS systems. Ducati has the most aggressive ABS, allowing stoppie braking. BMW and Honda are right around 1G and Yamaha is way less (from what I've read). In my riding experience, I've found Honda has the best ABS on the market. It's the most transparent in actuation with the least amount of lock-release-lock cycling.<ul><li><a href="http://www.bmwk1200s.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=50293&amp;sid=1caa78adcf0f9189e888 199b8bad6531">http://www.bmwk1200s.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=50293&amp;sid=1caa78adcf0f9189e888 199b8bad6531</a</li></ul>