Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

"I'm in support of insurers denying track-related claims. It's common sense."

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default People should seriously consider removing their plate at track and autox events...

...or any scenario where their car might be photographed. I know it sounds a tad paranoid but recently somebody dug up personal information on me and they were able to get it because of a pic on audiworld.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:38 PM
Rest In Peace

Default These debates the past few days have made me consider taping over my plate

from now on. You never know when somebody is going to post pics of you online...
Old 04-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Rest In Peace

"the core of the matter" which is what?
Old 04-27-2005, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That would be...

...your tacit advocation of insurance fraud in the other thread. That's what 'covering up the plate' is all about, isn't it ?

The claim that it's just to help avoid confusing the claims process is laughable.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:20 PM
Rest In Peace

Default You can question my motivation all you want. It's not fraud if it's a legitimate claim.

Most of the time, DEs are covered. Your position is one in which hurdles are thrown up in front of the claimant for absolutely no reason.

And I plan to cover up my own plate from now on to protect myself from people like you who don't see a problem in posting it online without my permission. Wreck or no wreck, I prefer not to have my personal info available to the world. My plate is my personal info. If you and others can't respect that, then I have to resort to covering it up. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2005, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nonsense.

I haven't posted any pictures. If you can't stick to the facts, you should get an Etch-A-Sketch, and limit your contacts with adults.

You claim that my position ..."is one in which hurdles are thrown up in front of the claimant for absolutely no reason." Oh ? How is that ? You've mis-stated my position with your own spin. If the claimant crashes his car on the track, there is no earthly reason other than 'fraud' why he would want to supress that fact. You've pulled this 'roadblock' excuse out of thin air, rather than face the hard ethical question.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:40 PM
Rest In Peace

Default I've explained the obstacles numerous times. If you can't understand, then it's not

worth discussing it with you any longer. Suit yourself.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You've speculated, not explained.

You know nothing about the process, you're just 'spinning' to defend a position that is defenseless.

I 'understand', all too well. Spare me the condescension.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:04 PM

Default The subsidy is there

I have studied recent crash statistics and surveyed a lot of DE instructors and concluded the following:

The chances of crashing your car at a DE is 5-10 times higher than when driving on the street on a per mile driven basis.

There is approximately the same risk of injury between the two.

There is not enough data to draw any conclusions about fatality rates.

The fact is that DE accidents, while covered by most insurance companies, pull the overall average costs up. IN OTHER WORDS, non DE drivers are subsidizing DE drivers. Whether you like it or not, whether you ask for it or not, it is fact. ANY group that has a higher accident level is subsidized if their rates are not higher to account for claims.

Now sinse MOST insurance companies do not press this issue, it is either not on their radar yet, or they do not think the numbers are large enough to worry about.

As far as being hassled by insurance companies for DE accidents - I know of ~10 people who have personally made such claims. Not one has had any difficulty getting paid by the company. While I constantly read (right here on the very reliable Internet) how insurance companies make this difficult, I have yet to hear from anyone who has personally experienced this. Well, almost... there is one person who towed their car out to the public road and filed a fraudulent claim. They got caught and did not get paid.

So, do you have any personal knowledge of claims being refused for DE accidents with the exception of the few companies that expicitily exclude DE's?
Old 04-27-2005, 05:06 PM

Default See my post below

DEs may or may not make drivers safer. I suspect they do, but there is no data to support that. The facts, however, show that participation in DEs constitutes a much higher risk to the car than driving on the street. Pretty hard to justify a discount for higher claims on track with no evidence of any offset.

Quick Reply: "I'm in support of insurers denying track-related claims. It's common sense."