Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

"Setup" on Speed Channel is good stuff. Worth watching IMHO.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Setup" on Speed Channel is good stuff. Worth watching IMHO.

Unlike that other show (can't recall name) they have a great host (Tom Kendall - articulate and knows about driving), equivalent cars and interesting drivers (not the standard roster of pretty boy, redneck, hot chick, etc.).

Basically, it's a fantasy game that includes sponsorship issues, with a gradual reduction of drivers based on track position.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:17 AM

Default I've watched it as well. they drop the last place car of each race (per episode), which isn't fair,

imo.

The guy that won the first 2 races (or was it 3?) and he got a penalty for rough driving, although it looked as if other drivers were just fvcking with him because he wins every race. The penalty put him at the back of the pack, which forced him to get by at least 1 car. That driver blocked him every where. Eventually, he got by him, not completely cleaning, but he got by, which he is the faster driver. Once by, now the loser punts him and breaks a rear suspension or bends something that causes the wheel to be no longer running straight. You can clearly see the damange and how the car no longer handles well. He is still some how able to run it home to finish in front of that guy that punted him. Then, the "officials" interview each of the guys after the race and then again the next morning. I'm not really sure what happened after that. I think they let them both make it into the next race, but which ever guy finished behind the other one was going to go home for that prior race ... or something like that.

In the end, the better driver that wins the first couple of races showing that he's good ends up fighting to stay in because of one race where he had a bullseye on his car. They should be doing a points system, not a per race situation, because that type of system allows the 2nd to last place driver to keep making the next race and not really rewarding the winner or even the podium finishers.

But, yes, I do like the show. Driver, a car builder/mechanic, and crew chief get a chance to prove themselves...win $100k and get a ride, which I assume would be GrandAm.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That format encourages stupid driving to avoid being last. They should re-think it.

The guy who finished last is the slowest, and they're doing what they can to keep him in the show because he's an interesting character.

The hot shot was wronged when put back to the end twice; but he completely misbehaved afterward. He did an amazing bit of driving to keep the car on track and block the fat guy. I thought they would boot him based on immaturity and disrespect.

You had to get a kick out of him yelling at the other guy, "Learn to race AUTOCROSSER!!!" What a d!ck.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah I know one of the drivers, Matt Guiver, local to the track here
Old 05-16-2007, 12:18 PM

Default agreed. I think a points system would be better.

yeah, he is a d!ck, at least what they show you. but, so am I from time to time when some a55hat is acting like an a55hat.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm cheering for Jeremy, the SoCal NASA racer (Honda Challenge).
Old 05-31-2007, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

WOOT!