Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

ACNA Track event guru's...nOOb needs some direction (long)- ->

Old 02-02-2006, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ACNA Track event guru's...nOOb needs some direction (long)- ->

Long because I have a lot of questions...

I am attending two ACNA track events this summer... VIR at the end of April and once registration opens, WG at the end of August. These are my first track events and now that I got the registration confirm I started to get nervous because I don't know how much I don't know.

My intent is better my street driving skillz and have some fun. Your patience with me is appreciated...

Current setup, aggressive street use only to this point... 2001 B5 S4, STaSIS TrackSport 600/700, Intrax ARB's, ECS Tuning Stage III brembo brakes, cross-drilled two piece front rotors & Porsche street pads, stock rear, SS lines and fresh Pentosin Race fluid. Stage II+ trim for motor...basics are DP's, exhaust, APR software, Intake and other bolt on stuff.

Wheel and rubber... 18x8.5 with S-03's and 17's with winter rubber.

So..my concerns, in no particular order..

-What should I be bringing with me in the way of tools and supplies?

-I am not sure if my front pads have more then half life on them..should I change the pads prior to and if so..suggestions on pads? They must be street friendly. Or change them when I get there to a track specific pad and change them out for the ride home?

-My S-03's have one season left on them...I figure I will end up eating that full season at the just the first event. Should I look for rubber to mount on my 17's, drive down on the 18's and track the 17's? Otherwise, I figure I will be driving home on the 17's after toasting the S-03's over the two day event.

-What should I expect in the way of wear and tear as a result of the event...paint, plastic parts, rubber etc...?

-What should I be asking that I am not?
Old 02-02-2006, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ACNA Track event guru's...nOOb needs some direction (long)- ->

Definitely bring extra brake pads - those are both tracks with long fast straights and you'll be heavy on the brakes. I'd have pads just for use at the track - pre-bed them before you go, and swap them in when you get there (or the night before you leave for the event), but make sure they're compatible with what you already have. You don't want to drive home on the backing plates. Ask me how I know...

Bring brake fluid and a bleeder.

I always tracked on 18" SO-3s and there's plenty of grip there to have fun. If you go with track tires, use the 17"s or them as that's cheaper.

Personally I never bothered with taping up anything except the headlights & fog lights, but a few rock chips never bothered me - I was putting 25K miles on the car each year anyway.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:39 AM

Default definitely get track pads front and rear for track use only. Ferodo 2500 or Pagid Orange (RS 4-4)

are both a decent pad for a beginner/intermediate driver going to big tracks.<ul><li><a href="http://www.raceshopper.com">http://www.raceshopper.com</a</li></ul>
Old 02-02-2006, 08:58 AM

Default Some of my experience...

If you are going to get aggressive track pads be prepared for you crossdrilled rotors to be toast. I did two events on mine with track pads and the cracking is unbelievable. If you bed them properly you shouldn't have as much an issue but I would still look into switching rotors to slotted. Watkins Glen was my first event ever and I ran on PS2 with Axxis Ultimates on my Stoptechs, this was enough although I did get some brake fade toward the end. Track pads make a huge difference but again your cross drilled rotors are going to get abused. Also if you drive to and from the event on your track wheels you should have no problem. if your tires are brand new they should last those two events easily. Make sure you check your brake fluid, alignment, oil change, bring spare oil, etc.. Lastly, brake dust(especially with track pads) can get pretty caked on the wheels so it helps to wax them or detail spray them before. Zeckhausen Racing has some great FAQ about race pads, bedding, driving to and from events, etc. the guy is a wealth of knowledge on the brake front.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good advice...thanks.... Headlights and fogs are X-Pelled...

I guess I'll plan to trash my S-03's...and probably should stuff the 17's in the car as a backup for the ride home...
Old 02-02-2006, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm starting to get nervous...

Thanks for the feedback. I was not planning on having to get pads, front &amp; rear, tires and rotors.. A sub-$500 event is turning into a huge ordeal.

Gotta give this some serious thought...thanks
Old 02-02-2006, 09:38 AM

Default you ran Axxis Ultimates at the Glen and didn't fade within the first lap? wow. If bring my A4 down

from triple digits on the highway with them, the next use of the brakes is about half of the bite.

No way would I trust using these pads on the track and definitely not the Glen with 2 big brake zones that are both triple digits where you're trying to scrub-off a lot of speed, esecially the back into the BusStop.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:39 AM
CP

Default My advice

As a beginner, your current tires should be fine, as you won't be abusing them for a number of track events unless that's your goal.

Skip new rotors. Just bed the track pads to your existing rotors the night before the event.

A heavy car like the S4 will eat through stock street pads pretty quickly. So go get yourself some track pads, even if only for the front. I drive to and from track events with my track pads on the car; 400 miles each way to/from WG. You'll probably lose more rotor material in 3 laps than during the entire trip to/from the track.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default IMO, this advice is way over the top - It's his 1st event guys!!!

Your brakes are upgraded from stock, unless you drive nutso or are the second coming of Hans Stuck they will do just fine for your first time.

Put on a new set of pads, save your old ones as backups, freshen up the brake fluid and go and have fun.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2nd that...i would also recommend running in stock (ecu) mode...

...if you can...

hp doesnt teach you how to drive...

go have fun!!!

stop by and say hi at the vir event...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ACNA Track event guru's...nOOb needs some direction (long)- ->