Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Any thoughts on Kubica/Vettel incident?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any thoughts on Kubica/Vettel incident?

Vettel was penalized 10 grid spots for the collision, but I'm not sure about
placing the blame solely on him. Seems to me that Kubica slammed the door on him pretty hard,and left Vettel nowhere to go, IMO.

Looked like they both are about equally to blame, as far as I was concerned.
Just a "racing incident" caused by two guys driving *****-out. Isn't that what Bernie wants? Isn't that what racing is about?

Any opinions?

Vettel was also fined $50,000 for continuing on around the course in a disabled car. No excuse for that.

Overall, was a really good race. Looks like the rule changes have had the desired effect and shaken things up a bit. Rules could use some tweaking (they need more rear wing), but much more on-track action than we've been accustomed to.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the Max and Bernie show as far as the punishment...10 grid spots is just stupid, to fine him is doubly stupid....where was the black flag? he was out of the race and has a substantial amount of damage. He had no where to go when Kubica came over - he was already on the kerb. Perhaps too much agression by Kubica? perhaps just racing. I couldn't believe Varsha compared it to NASCAR with the flags and finish under the safety car.

I wonder how the M&B show would have handled Sir Jack Brabham pushing his car across the finish line (it was disabled as in NOT running) - damn, that would have been good for back of the grid next race and USD 100K fine.

I admired Vettel on the radio taking the blame when clearly it was not all him. I also admire his determination and drive during the race. I used to like Kubica but he's off that list. GO VETTEL.

Guess Vettel is now the one to put in the "hot seat" in F1, last year Lewis, this year him. It wouldn't be F1 without a figurehead driver to put in the headlines of their scripted F1 races.

Carol
Old 03-29-2009, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TVR1977
Vettel was penalized 10 grid spots for the collision, but I'm not sure about
placing the blame solely on him. Seems to me that Kubica slammed the door on him pretty hard,and left Vettel nowhere to go, IMO.

Looked like they both are about equally to blame, as far as I was concerned.
Just a "racing incident" caused by two guys driving *****-out. Isn't that what Bernie wants? Isn't that what racing is about?
Agreed
Old 03-29-2009, 04:24 PM

It was a racing incident, neither driver deserves to completely shoulder the blame. While it's true that Kubica did not leave Vettel much room, Vettel should not have been fighting so hard for a position that he was absolutely not going to be able to retain. I don't agree with the penalty handed to Vettel: I think that the loss of points and a podium finish is penalty enough!
Old 03-30-2009, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default To me it was just racing. How far is that little pr*ck Bernie

going to push these guys with ridiculous penalites, threats of making F1 a spec series, etc.? Neither penalty or fines were appropriate here as I see it. Trying to finish, even on three wheels, why not? He was off liine and going slow, and figureed he only had to makie another lap anyway. I'm sure if this had happened earlier in the race he'd have just driven to the pits or pulled off.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It looked startling on first view, but subsequent replays gave me the final thought that it was "just racing".

Ah.... continuing with a "disabled" car? If it were disabled, how could he....

O, nevermind.

But congratulations to Button, and thank you Sir Richard Branson for making it possible. One of the best F1 stories in years.