Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Audi racing with NASA GTS???

Old 09-04-2003, 07:23 AM
eS2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi racing with NASA GTS???

The lack of any racing venue for Audi was a big reason I retired the e//S2 from track duty: I wanted to go racing so building a dedicated track car which was ineligible to race was pointless. Now along comes the German Touring Sedan Challenge, sponsored by NASA. http://www.gtschallenge.com So far it is just Porsche vs. BMW. The classes are designed to include cars already prepared to PCA or BMWCCA rulebooks. However, there is a free wheeling classification philosophy that I think could be expanded to include Audis. I have read threads by the organizers that lead me to believe they'd be open to audi participation. So, those of you building track cars: it might be worth pinging these guys to try and get some rules guidelines.

I would _love_ to see some S2s on US tracks. I felt like I did well with the eS2 at DEs vs. M3s and 944turbos, and it would be great to see some Audis in the GTS venue...

Brandon Hull
e//S2
911SC #77 G
Old 09-04-2003, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default that's the thing about NASA...

if you have a reasonable case, you can race ANYTHING that's track worthy against similar cars. Why SCCA wants the "production" classes full of rusted out Sprites and Fiats instead of cars that would run circles around them but are plentiful and cheaper is beyond me.

I really detest the SCCA.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Hey Brandon

Who did you talk to at NASA. Jerry Kunzman is the head guy and a friend of mine. I think he would be open to it. Does Eisenlohr still have his race car?
Old 09-19-2003, 10:04 AM
eS2

Default Re: that's the thing about NASA...

Actually it now looks official, the GTS Challenge page press release section announces Audi as an "accepted marque." The lone A4 in the mix seems to be getting some points. Wouldn't it be great to see an S2 mixing w/the 911s, m3s, 944ts...
Brandon
Old 10-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Audi racing with NASA GTS???

Actually, here in the Ohio-Indiana Region of NASA, Audi is going strong!

Jeff Mishtawy and the Motorkars A4 have been doing very well in this region. They joined mid season and have already been asked to bump up a class (to GTS3, now to compete with M3s!) because of their dominating performance in GTS2. It has been a blast watching them dominate at the races.

Here is a little blurb on the team:
http://www.theracesite.com/index.cfm?pagetype=2&form_article=5793

Ask around, I am sure there is some other Audi GTS action brewing in other regions.