Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Autocrossing is Moronic????--!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-1998, 11:32 AM
Female perspective

Default Autocrossing is Moronic????--!!!!!

Background--Before my husband and I became involved in the car club, I had never heard of Autocross! But "car boy" had. In fact , it was the first club activity he pursued--and from the outset, he loved it.I was not interested, even after it was explained to me. After much coaxing--I finally went--and thought it was the most moronic, idiotic thing I'd ever seen--a total waste of time, not to mention tires.<p>Before you jump all over me, my perspective was this. There's this "course' usually a big, empty parking lot with all those orange cones. Finally, there's all these cars waiting in line to drive around the cones, just as fast as they can-without knocking any over. Then, after everyone's taken their turn, they wait in line to do it again. Let's not forget tha each of these runs is timed and the winner is the fastest through the course without hitting any cones--and they usually get a cheesy mug or platic plaque!<p>I finally was "coerced" into participating w. my spouse but I was never very good. It would take me more than the allocated runs to even get familiar with each course, but over several years of occasionally participating I improved--slightly.<br>Six months ago while driving in traffic a old beat up truck suddenly changed lanes in front of me and a big piece of debris fell off the truck, directly in front of me--and somehow I thought--you'll just have to autocross around it and go on.<br>Yes, you heard it here first--it seems that I had the appropriate driving skills to avoid what might have been a disaster! And, I got them from having autocrossed!! Hmmmm!!<br>Three months lates, I was travelling a rural winding road. The posted speed was 35 but everyone was going at least 65--including me. The driving was incredible-and fun! It occurred to me that several years ago, I would not have wanted to drive this road on my own but now--and thanks to autocrossing--I do and I ENJOY it.<p>There is much to be said for the skills and confidence gained, even in small steps, from participating in driving schools and autocrosses--even if its done reluctantly! And, though I really hate to admit it--there's no denying it any more: I have become a CAR PERSON!<br>Of course, this fact doesn't change my overall perspective about the insanity that surrounds Car Boy and his friends and their passions.<br>I guess its just like anything else in life--we learn and grow daily and in the process, we find that some of the things we thought were pointless, really aren't!<p>These days I've adopted a new philosophy--<br>"Life is an autocross---just watch out for the cones!!"<br>
Old 10-06-1998, 11:35 AM
Steve S.

Default I know this car boy....

He just got back from Elkhart Lake, huh?<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM<p>P.S. BTW, you sold me a raffle ticket once.<br>
Old 10-06-1998, 01:08 PM
KostaT

Default Originally in the October _Roundel_

(nt)
Old 10-07-1998, 04:21 AM
Josh Pinkert

Default Re: Autocrossing is Moronic????--!!!!!

Very scary...you sound just like my girlfriend, although I have yet to get her to try her hand in the cones with her Integra GSR.<p>But in defense of autoX, there are tons of other things that cost more, and when looked at under a microscope, are totally moronic. Take skiing. Strap two boards to your feet and attempt to slide down a steep, snowy slope. Get to the bottom ok...go to the top and do it again!<p>- Josh<br>- '98 A4q 2.8<br>- '72 911T
Old 10-07-1998, 09:44 AM
Enzo

Default THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR THIS!! I'm e-mailing it to my wife right now!!!!!!!!!

I've been trying and trying to get my wife to do auto-x. I've tried to explain how it can help in emergency situations and everything! She IS going to do a Road Atlanta track day with me, but I kinda signed her up. I really hope this story softens her up a little.<p>Enzo<p>The "A" List:<p>Wife's -- 98 A4 1.8T QMS<br>Mine -- 84 Alfa Romeo GTV-6<br>Dog's -- 90 Acura Integra
Old 10-07-1998, 01:34 PM
Drew S.dsenko@uu.net

Default Re: skiing...

If you're on a good mountain, you only see the bottom twice a day... in the morning at the beginning and when you are done at the end of the day!<p>I agree somewhat... about skiing. Snowboarding on the other hand... can't wait for snow!!!!!!<br>
Old 10-07-1998, 07:50 PM
Josh Pinkert

Default Re: skiing...

Very off topic now...<p>But I think the same applies to both snowboarding and skiing. I do both (although I'm still learning to snowboard).<p>And yes, on good mountains, you really never see the bottom. I'll be at Jackson Hole this Christmas...yippeee!<p>- Josh<br>- '98 A4q 2.8<br>- '72 911T
Old 10-09-1998, 03:50 PM
JamesD

Default Way off topic, but...I hated the thought of skiing 'til my g/f convinced me to try it...

Now I'm the one who can't wait for the season to start every year. The Rockies got snow last weekend!<p>Actually, I haven't skied in over two years. You see, I tried snowboarding and much to my better half's dismay, I liked it better. This will be my 3rd season sliding and I swear I'm gonna nail a 360.