Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Best Audi for road racing

Old 11-02-2006, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Audi for road racing

Hi Everybody!

I would like to buy an Audi for track days and road racing. Something along the lines of A4, S4, RS4.

Under $30K, but over $10K. I will probably do lots of handling mods, but I want to keep the engine mods moderate and reliable. Nevertheless I want all the power I can get reliably, so displacement and turbos are a big plus. I can bolt on some turbos if they did not come from the factory, that is not a problem.

So which is the best model/year and how much should I expect to pay for it?

That topic was probably discussed before, but I am new to this forum (and this forum format), so please be kind. Please post some links if that is the case. Thank you!
Old 11-02-2006, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default what series and class do you plan on racing in?

figure out which car is best for that class and build it to the rules...

i know its an audi board (so hold the flames please) but are you dead set on racing an audi? there are a lot of other options out there for racing that will lead to cheaper and better racing with more available venues/series to race in...

ps. if you are planning on racing, buy a race car, don't build one...
Old 11-02-2006, 06:08 AM

Default Sadly there are few options in the SCCA

The Blethens have good success in the Audi Coupe GTs in the ITB class here in the northeast, and that's it.

Here's an idea - try to get your hands on an old Stasis SWC Touring car and run it in the new D Prepared class. That'd be a hoot! Would probably bust the budget though.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i don't think a stasis touring car would fit the under 30k category ;-)

it would definitely be a hoot though!

side note: most former touring cars ive seen require quite a bit of setup work/knowledge and upkeep (not to mention the custom parts on the cars)...might be bit much for someone just getting started...
Old 11-02-2006, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Like David said, one that's already built.

If you're going to start from scratch find a beat A4 for as cheap as you can. Expect to spend lots and lots on labor and one-off pieces.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:22 AM

yes, that wasn't a 'fully-baked' idea by any stretch. Makes for a nice fantasy though!
Old 11-02-2006, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't Intrax have an old one to sell?
Old 11-02-2006, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Best Audi for road racing

It might help us if you told us a bit more, especially about your background, experience and where you intend on racing.

I started out with Audi, but decided to go with a Miata as a dedicated track car. Driving it this year has tought me more about driving 'well' than previous 2 years in my S4.

Mazda has great support for people using their cars in motorsports. You can buy parts at a very generous discount via http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/ and if you're going to race fender to fender you'll have lots of other people in similar cars.

If you're just starting out, looking for 'all the power I can get reliably' may be a mistake. Spending some time in a 'momentum' car could be the best learning experience you'll ever have...
Old 11-02-2006, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Weird story there... and no, I heard they don't have it anymore.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:05 PM

Default Re: what series and class do you plan on racing in?

Thanks for the tips! I have some questions:

Pat-SoCal -- why an A4? Which year then? Are you recommending to turbocharge that 2.8L NA engine?

Is a 4.2L V8 not available for under $30K, even used?

What is the maximum RELIABLE power that I can run on road courses? I know Champion ran some 600HP+, but rebuiding an engine after every track day is not where my interests are.

Just have to ask, does anyone road races/raced the 6-series cars besides Champion?

If I just wanted to race and beat other guys I would probably buy some Mazda (thanks, JeffW), Formula Ford or a Go-Kart. But I love the AWD. My current track car is a Dodge Stealth AWD TT. Too bad that there are too few racing classes out there, but track days are almost good enough for me, and if I decide to race it will in the Unlimited class. I do not want some SCCA, etc. to tell me what kind of engineering I am allowed to do on my own car. I am not a racecar driver but mostly an engineer. Making the car faster is part of the fun for me.

This is the weirdest forum format that I have ever seen. Must be invented by Audi (Germans software engineers, lol). But I am sticking to this forum. Alright, I am about to send my first reply, hopefully it comes out okay. I checked Viper and Vette forums, and they are no match content-wise, and I do not think I want a BMW or a Porsche, but this Audi forum is awesome. Lots of good engineering stuff in the Suspension and Brakes section. Thumbs up!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Audi for road racing