Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

BMW 318ti track car for HPDE?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
Default BMW 318ti track car for HPDE?

I'm considering retiring the Miata from track use. The clubs on the East Coast are gradually tightening the rules on open top cars at HPDE events. Most clubs require a roll bar and harnesses (which means seats too). One charter of the BMW Club now requires a full cage. Because enjoy the Miata on the road too, I strip out out the seats and harness, and I return the car to stock belts and seats for daily driving. I don't mind swapping all this stuff back and forth, but this is as far as I am planning to go. No full cage in my fun weekend car. I'm starting to look for a dedicated track car.

Yes, I know another Miata is smart bet, but variety is the spice of life, and I'd like to get something with a hard top that I can gradually convert to a full track car. I want something that I can track as is.

There are a few 318ti's for sale in my area, and they look like fun. Anyone have any experience? Am I better off just buying an E30 or E36 Coupe or Sedan?
Old 07-27-2008, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I have a friend Andy that has this...

but the engine is NOT from a 318i anymore.<ul><li><a href="http://chittum.net/">http://chittum.net/</a</li></ul>
Old 07-27-2008, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In NASA if you don't fit a defined class ,they can group you with like power/weight cars

Like the Datsun Z car with a V8 small block racing last year .If it were me, I would look at a 325 and do the E30 group if looking at a BMW for racing.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:15 AM
CP

Default Why not an E30 sedan/coupe?

I rarely see the 318ti at any events, much less BMWCCA events. I'd stick with an E30 or E36 323/325/328 for ease of finding spare parts. I know the E36 M3 engine bolts right into the ti, but it must have something funky going on with the suspension since they rarely make it to the track. Maybe they're just rare (beats me)?

As we were talking about last week, how about the MS Miata? Or get a Spec Miata through Dave and then really learn how to drive the thing. I can put you in contact with him. I'm sure he'll know about lots of cars up for sale in the late fall once the regional racing season is over. What car(s) are you planning to sell to make room for another one?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thats what I said in my text.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Tech Guru

Default Sell?

Did Robyn tell you to post that? lol
No selling, thanks. I still have one open garage bay.

Just kind of fleshing out options. I know buying a spec is going to be the cheapest, but it will also mean a heafty outlay in one fell swoop versus buying a beater and gradually beefing it up. The ti is kind of a cool one-off, but looks like it is not viable as a track car without a serious warm-over....for the price of two or more spec cars.

The Miata probably is the best route, especially since I already have a boatload of Miata wheels, tires and other parts.

Truth be told, I probably shouldn't be looking yet. The current Miata is finally all shaken out, runs awesome, and is reasonably safe for the way I drive it. As you allude to, it probably is holding me back a bit though. No supercharger would mean forcing myself to do more with less, and more protection might give me the ***** to do it. Even the R-3 head/neck restraint has empowered me to push a little harder.

The other reason why I shouldn't be looking is because Robyn's car is up for replacement, and that's where the money should go. Her A6 will hit 250k miles by the end of the year. I would not want to have to expalin to her that she will have to drive the A6 another couple of years because I blew a chunk of her car money on a race car.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yes, you are better off sticking with an e30 or e36 coupe or sedan...
Old 07-28-2008, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default rear suspension is the same as e30's...

and the ti's have a short wheelbase...kinda like z3's
Old 07-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Guru

Default Agreed that is the smarter thing.

Between here and the miata forum, I have been talked down from the ledge.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:59 AM
CP

Default YOU DON'T NEED 8 VEHICLES

So is this what a mid-life crisis entails? I'd better let Jess know that the next house better have a barn or that 10 car garage I've always wanted because the one we're buying now can only fit two (but there's ample room for a 24ft enclosed trailer and tow vehicle to the side of it in the yard ;^)

I think you're nuts. Who the hell has the time to work on all of those? You need to slash and burn half of them. I guess I'm jealous yet non-sympathetic at the same time.

You only need 3 vehicles for yourself, and one for Robin:

Robin: 1) something that's got cold AC and won't require lots of maintenance

Mid-life Man: 2) Tow vehicle which can also wield a plow in the winter. 3) daily driver, which that red Audi appears to be? 4) dedicated track car with a full cage

You can pick up a sorted SM or Spec E30 for under $10K with spares using numerous sources.

I suppose we can take this offline, but I'm guessing there's no talking any sense into your thick noggin.

Quick Reply: BMW 318ti track car for HPDE?