Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Congrats to John/TSR!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2000, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Congrats to John/TSR!

Trained Seals Racing pulls out another enduro victory! John Walsh and John Williamson lead the entire 12 hour enduro race at Summit Point in their class, SSC. This is a repeat of last year's first place finish at the 12 hours of Summit Point with this car. John and John were driving the same 200SX SE-R that they picked up last year for $900.

Alex Milenkovic, his girlfriend (I dunno how to spell her real name), and I got to crew for them. It was getting close at the 9 hour mark, where the next 2 cars in the class, Neons, were only 3-6 laps down, but we had to change out the front rotors, which had been cracked for about 7 hours already. Well, in true racing fashion, the competition took themselves out of the race. One Neon spun in front of another, and they both ended up being about 8 inches shorter.

Night racing is very different looking. Especially since most of the track is COMPLETELY unlit. They do allow you to tack on big rally lights, but it's still very dark out there in West Virginia. It's very difficult to identify cars too, luckily TSR innovation fixed this problem too. To illuminate our numbers, we had long thin glowsticks taped to the side of the car in the shape of a 7. It worked better than anyone else's method =)

Congrats again!

Warren
Old 06-04-2000, 11:03 AM

Default Ya and thanks for the CB entertainment, John :)

Nothing like hearing John's comments during this race..

"Damn, this RX-7 behind me wants to hit me!"

"I'm driving like a LITTLE OLD LADY!" (after we told him to back off near the end of the race).

"I've driven harder than this to work!" (same part)

John Williamson's comments were amusing.. he got sandwiched by two Neon's (one on each side going through a corner) and the radio crackled "Someone get an official, because I'm about to punch out these two bastards."

Some folks came by and asked why we didn't mount the big rally-style lights in the beginning of the race, so that we wouldn't have to do it during a pit stop. Warren and I concluded that with John/John being as ready as they are to punt someone getting silly (and yes, we do mean punt) they wouldn't have lasted 4 hours in the daytime

Much fun was had by all. Looking forward to doing it next year.

Alex.
Old 06-04-2000, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Damn, I should re-read before I post. SSB is the right class!
Old 06-04-2000, 03:15 PM

No, they're in SSC. Go with your gut.
Old 06-04-2000, 03:37 PM

Default You've got the bug bad now! Totally hooked...

Warren: Was at the track for a couple of hours. Didn't recognize you in your pit-monkey garb.

Everyone drove very cleanly (at least while it was light out). I'm told that my Tire Guy, Paul Moorcones of Radial Tire (w. co=driver Al Himes) took first overall in his pro ITE Miata. Damn, he predicted he would do that on Friday a.m., as he was trying to make tires fit on my new RCs. Second was your buddy and mine, Ivan Arzola in his rent-a-ride, the brown RC Automotive Mercedes. A good show all around--just surprised at the lack of spectators on a beautiful race day.

Lee in D.C. (at Summit 24th-25th w. PCA)
Old 06-04-2000, 11:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I saw Ivan's rented car, #86

Hey, was he driving for the last stint? Whoever drove it during that last stint went full bore. Actually, all the contender ITE cars were going all out during the last 2 hours. I think Rick and Cindy Ellinger took 3rd.

Warren
Old 06-04-2000, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It's SSB!
Old 06-05-2000, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's SSC !

...and I'm pooped. I think I did 7+ hours of the 12 hours, 4-5 hours with absolutely crap brakes. The phrase of the day: "Adapt, adapt, adapt....I don't need no stinkin brakes to go racin !"
Responses/race report/amusing stories later. I gotta go to work.
Old 06-05-2000, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

But we beat all the SSB cars too !!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2000, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Damn

I thought it was SSB, cuz there were no other SS cars that even lead us during the race. We were always first SS car on the time sheets. SSC is supposed to be slower than SSB. Heh, so much for that theory.

Are the older Sentra SE-R's in SSB? I could have sworn some cars with that engine were in SSB.

Warren

Quick Reply: Congrats to John/TSR!