Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Ecclestone has said a US race was not vital to F1......what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecclestone has said a US race was not vital to F1......what do you guys think?

Does he get too old and senile for this job? BMW, MB, Honda, Ferarri and Toyota would kick themselves in the rear wing if they'd go along with Bernie's statement.

I believe it is an educational factor that applies for both, the US and F1. How many people actually know that F1 technology (in modified versions of course) can be found in our daily driver?
Honda's Suspenion work, MB's engine development or some of the electronics are taken for granted today because people don't know or simply don't care about these things.

They've made Nascar attractive through Budweiser, perhaps it's time for the F1 PR engine to re-think some of it's marketing strategies.
If I had to say something about it then I'd make a sticker for every road car sold that contains F1 inheritance "Parts based on Formula 1 developments", and there are plenty.

Bernie, get your facts straight, all of the F1 manufactures sell their road cars in the US with significant profit margin, attacking this market is simply not very smart and it WILL back-fire.
Otherwise get lost and go to new markets like India, perhaps they'll sell a few more Ricshas once F1 has established itself over there, Moron.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:37 PM

Default sadly, he's probably correct as long as there is no competitive american driver

Americans just don't care about sports or leagues where most of the action takes place on other continents, UNLESS there's an American challenging for the win.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:56 PM

Unfortunately, I have to agree, get Scott in a BMW or MB to kick some a$$, perhaps that'll work ;-)
Old 06-18-2007, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "all of the F1 manufactures sell their road cars in the US " - you sure about that?

renault? ;-)
Old 06-18-2007, 01:27 PM

Default *shrugs* It's negotiation time for the Indy Grand Prix to be on the schedule.

Bernie must want the George's to do something to make him more money from the event.

He always pulls this sh*t when the contracts to host a race at a venue are up.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default as much as I would hate to not have a race here in the States, he's right in terms of

the US not being a vital market for F1.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:38 PM

Default There is a Renault Dealer on Atlantic Ave in Atlantic City, NJ, and one on Rt22 near Watchung, NJ...

So IMHO, Yes, they all do ;-) Sort of......
Old 06-18-2007, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There are more Americans that follow F1 that you might think. At the Montreal

race the airplanes are completely full of just American race fans and that is nothing to compare with the fans that drive across the border. I think since the tire problem a couple of years ago at Indy..that sort of soured a lot of people from that race. No one likes to get stiffed with hotel and airfare costs even if Tony gives you a free ticket for the following year.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:56 PM

Default It's a part this darn F1 arrogance, Bernie doesn't care that without spectators no racing series

would exist. Unfortunately, he has the luxury of picking up Countries who beg and pay him to have a race.
This is the kind of Monopoly that makes it so difficult, and apperently the teams have not much to say. Let's hope they come to some agreement, otherwise c.u. in Cancun for the next few years to watch F1 ;-)
Old 06-18-2007, 02:58 PM

Default I say move it to Vegas and it will prosper! Go where the money is and where people

are willing to travel. Yeah, it's Indy...but I bet A LOT more people would rather go to the show and glitz of Vegas. It would be more of an "event" than just a race. That's just my .02 and don't even know if that track could transform into an F1 track. Probably not. Don't mention the heat as they race in just as hot places.

How sad is it tho, I'm going to a race next year. But I'm going to Montreal as I feel it's more true F1 than Indy.

Quick Reply: Ecclestone has said a US race was not vital to F1......what do you guys think?