Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Fellow Audi owner let me take his new E46 M3 on track at Thunderhill...nice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fellow Audi owner let me take his new E46 M3 on track at Thunderhill...nice.

Totally stock Laguna Blue M3...stock continental tires....all I can say is..out of the box...this car is sweet. The chipped S4s...some of them..had the M3 on the straights...but only a rare few. Remember I was crusin with people like Tony C from New Dimensions (in his S4) that has some experience with making cars go pretty good on track.

Anyway, the new M3 is pretty nice on track....respect them.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That was me bugging you about your brakes while you were trying to leave.

I was snooping around, trying to see how other stock brake S4s were holding up at the end.

I have no warpage today after running the Porterfield R4S on stock brakes. Just a bit of grindage noise... the type that sometimes goes away on its own.

They are crumbling a bit on the front edge, are pasty white, and I used up about 1/3 of the pad. Since we only did 4 full track/hard braking, 2 15 min full track and 2 half track sessions, I wonder if they would have held up for 8 30min full track sessions. Probably not.

I was charged $379 for the set alone. Too expensive, so I'm going to double check to see if that was correct for the R4S. No wonder everyone is upgrading.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ouch $379...myroadster.net sells 'em for $279

still alot for the front set though (although I have the R4-S for the stock rears).

and yeah, the price of front replacement pads for the stock brakes was reason enough for me to upgrade my front brakes.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Did a bit of brake pad switching today....

My porterfields were totally fried...the inside two were TOTALLY gone on the right side...metal against metal...all the way back from Thunderhill...I only hit them three times total...(going into Granzella's Restaurant). It is pretty hard to drive back 160 miles from a track event..in the dark...in moderate traffic...trying to not use your brakes...try it sometime..

Don't know what to do for brakes going forward...stock pads are back on...rotors will get turned, on my dime, later this week at the place New Dimensions gets their grinding done.

Thinking of getting another set of cryogenically treated set..they worked well for me..(frozenrotors.com)

Thats all for now...nice talking to you at TH.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:22 PM

Default Try PF-97s if they make them for S4s...

M3 owners usually go with PF-97s (from Performance Friction) because the Porterfields go much too quickly.
Old 01-22-2002, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Attn: Leslie...nice choc chip banana bread...thanks again.

Good to see you again.
Old 01-22-2002, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't think they're made for the S4
Old 01-22-2002, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I did discover a bit of warpage. I think my last shot will be to get slotted rotors.

If that don't work it's time to switch. I haven't read of anyone that has done that and complained yet.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:13 PM
Elder Member

Default Heh, thanks. ;-)

Good to see you too, and finally nice to drive at a Cali event! Thanks for taking me around the first time, and thanks to Corey for his great instruction getting me familiarized w/ Thill. Fun track! (too bad Sharon wasn't feeling well enough to attend...) :-\

Oh and definite thanks as well to Taner for the KKs! :P
Old 01-23-2002, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Were those R4-S or their track compound?

Quick Reply: Fellow Audi owner let me take his new E46 M3 on track at Thunderhill...nice.