Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Harnesses. How old is too old? Are there rules for track events? autoxes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 10:56 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harnesses. How old is too old? Are there rules for track events? autoxes?

I have never seen anyone question them, just curious.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think the SCCA rules (for road racing) are 5 years.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:38 PM

Default porsche club rule is 10 years.

at least the chapters I'm familiar with...
Old 07-07-2003, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default About to become 2 years...

...so there should be a secondary market for used harnesses developing shortly.

Nobody is re-webbing harnesses anymore. Gotta buy new.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:31 AM

Default What's your take on........

John,

I also read the SCCA article. The test they performed seemed to indicate that all sorts of other factors besides frequency of use wear them out.

Do you buy all this or is this another way for the Sparco, Simpson, Schroth and so on to sell more harnesses?

Every two years seems a bit drastic.

I am just waiting for a news release saying sunlight destroys my nomex suit and we'll have to replace those damn things every two years as well.

What do you think?

By the way ten years for a harnesses is way off the chart. No way I would ever use one that was past 5 years.

Regards,

Jon
95f355c
88m5
Old 07-08-2003, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's an...

...insurance thingy, I'm sure. If the SFI says that the acceptable usable life is 2 years, then the insurance carriers aren't going to think twice about requiring it, as they're always in CYA mode. They're happy to spend our money. That said, a good set of camlock belts are less than $170...you gotta pay if you wanna play.

NHRA and other orgs. required new every two years...I'd guess we're just a little behind the wave on this. Thank the PI/Tort Bar for this.

Belts can live in cars that are exposed to the weather. Suits are generally not out in the car, and the fire-resistance probably isn't affected by UV light, so I don't expect anyone to implement a life-span on suits. Nomex jammies are expensive enough...I don't want to buy them any more often that required by the suit shrinkage/body growage factor.

Yeah...I agree on the 10 year thing. You gotta be out of your freakin mind to use belts that are 10 years old.

Next up will probably be helmets. I fully expect helmets to have hard manufacturing dates, rather than just a Snell certification date. Then again, I've never made a helmet last more than 3 years. Mine get a lot of use, and the fire resistant lining in SA helmets fall apart on me.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default How does this connect with daily pedestrian seatbelts?

I mean I know lots of people with cars older than 10 years and nowhere does it say that you should replace belts. What are your thoughts?
Old 07-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Elder Member

I'm driving a 21yr old Audi to work everyday.. 8-O
Old 07-09-2003, 01:00 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The end of our 95 Millenia's seat belts have a tag showing now which says to "replace"...

...if this tag is showing. The Mazda service manager supposedly did some checking on this for us since he hadn't seen that before, and reported back that the seatbelt should be fine for continued use. We believed him. If they break in a collision, I guess we'll find out how well the airbags work.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Different materials.

Nylon vs. Polyester. Street car belts are a slightly different beast.

Different characteristics, different strengths and different reaction on exposure to UV light.

I wouldn't panic.

Quick Reply: Harnesses. How old is too old? Are there rules for track events? autoxes?