Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

how do you prevent oversteer from snapping back to the other side?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: yay, someone said fast hands...

I remember Montoya going through a 140mph+ corner crossed up, either last year or the year before. I remember watching the in car video and just being amazed at how quick he was.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:36 AM
Elder Member

Default Engine braking is always transferring load to the front. ...

Idealrides was apparently close enough to the limit that the loss of even this small load off the rear was enough to push the car over the edge. The problem is that a car develops a significant amount of angular momentum when cornering, think of the car as rotating around a vertical axis. Even though you unwind (to avoid a Wrangler in the center of the road), your car wants to keep rotating, and the back end can break loose.

The "trick" is to at least maintain constant throttle when it hit's the fan in situations like this. Of course, if idealrides didn't slow down with the throttle lift and would have collided with that Wrangler, he's between a rock and a hard place (and needs to drive slower on the street).

I once autocrossed my car on a track that entered onto a short-track oval for part of the course. [This was really high speed for just an autocross!] Anyway, I remember watching a Porsche exit the banking in the corner without problem, but the car just kept slowing rotating down the straight. That image made a permanent impression, and it doesn't let me forget about the importance of the transient loads that result from any change in angular momentum, either at turn-in or corner exit.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:22 AM

Default in your situation seems like you had to much counterstee....

You will only get better with practice...

You need to have good reaction time, so yes you will get better then fade out, as you get older just like any sport, if you consider driving how you were a sport. You also need good car control and an understanding for how the car will react. This you can learn as a norm for all cars then "dial in" as you learn a different car. There are several different things you can do with the car (gas, brake, steering, etc. etc. etc.) depending on the car. Each thing will have a different effect.

Great places to learn about this stuff are Autocrosses, Rallycrosses and Ice Racing (rallycross style if you prefer not to drive a Junker).

As you can tell in that clip of me at Lime Rock in the post below that you also need a feel and understanding for different surfaces as well as transitions from one surface to another.

Raymond Blethen
RST Performance Racing
www.rstperformance.com
Old 03-10-2004, 11:42 AM

I don't think that I would do either thing.... Drive through it!!! (Ride it out)
Old 03-10-2004, 11:44 AM

Good Tips...
Old 03-10-2004, 11:45 AM

I think that you can almoast compleatly control the car with +/- throttle. Their is a balance though
Old 03-10-2004, 11:49 AM

I have to jump in and add that I love your sig
Old 03-10-2004, 12:02 PM

Default Tire Pressure

Although this doesn't go directly to your question of preventing the "snapping back" effect, reducing your rear tire pressure a bit (start with 2 psi reduction) will reduce the tendancy to oversteer.

Of course, if you're already running at the minumum recommended pressure, you probably shouldn't try this.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:19 PM

Default I agree, when it is in control

But once it has gotten away from you in a tank slapper, I don't think you can usually bring it back with throttle.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Unless...

...it's FWD.

The solution to every problem in FWD is to stand on the gas. Really. Amazing solution to tankslappers.

Quick Reply: how do you prevent oversteer from snapping back to the other side?