Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

HPDE helmet recommendations.

Old 12-26-2005, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPDE helmet recommendations.

My current full-face helmet expired this year, so I'm currently in the market for a new one. I found my old helmet to be very comfortable, but lacking in ventalation. This is making me debate whether I should get an open-face helmet or try and find one with better ventalation. Any recommendations as to which type to get and models to look into? TIA.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:47 PM

Default With the visor closed you are never really going to have great ventilation in a closed car, IMO

That being said, go with comfort, which it sounds like you've found
Old 12-26-2005, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I should clarify the "ventilation" comment.

Even with the visor open, my head would get quite sweaty after 30 mins on the track. I was hoping for something with a better air-flow system which would allow a breeze to flow toward the top & back of the helmet to keep things cooler. Not sure if that's even possible w/ the open-faced helmets, but figured those would be the best bet.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default full face with the visor up or off works for me, but my Bell M2 is hot as well.

I don't like the thought of an open face helmet after what happened to Dale Earnhardt. And, I've heard you shouldn't use them with an air bag, but I don't remember why.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: HPDE helmet recommendations.

personally, i dont like open face helmets at all but its your face...

having said that, take your time and try on as many different brands/models as you can, then buy the most comfortable (and lightest) one you can...after trying on several helmets, i bought a bell vortex earlier this year and love it (my old helmet is a bell also, they just seem to fit me well)...

i dont think you're really going to get much ventilation in to your helmet (in a closed cockpit) without a forced air setup...i usually run with my visor opened slightly in races and all the way up in DE's...
Old 12-27-2005, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Like everyone said, try many on for best fit (love my Arai GP-5k).
Old 12-27-2005, 08:25 AM

Default I like my bieffe.

and I agree with everyone else. after a 30 minute session on a hot day, sweat is inevitable. and there's not really enough airflow to make good ventilation very helpful.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

IIRC, Bieffe went out of business last year
Old 12-27-2005, 11:26 AM

Default strange, I hadn't heard that. someone still seems to be paying for their website...

<ul><li><a href="http://www.bieffeamerica.com/">http://www.bieffeamerica.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 12-27-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Well, in any sort of reasonable weather your head is going ot start sweating unless you're just out

for a Sunday drive:P

FWIW, my Simpson lid (I think it might be the Valour?) never has any problems delivering plenty of air, and although I'm not terribly impressed with the build quality of it I'm on track a whole lot more than you probably are, so it shouldn't be a huge issue for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HPDE helmet recommendations.