Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

I instructed two novice students at driving school this weekend; couldn't get either to brake hard..

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A different point.

First of all, sorry Young for your damage. And sorry to the other guy too.

Here's my question, why is the pass on the outside? I know we're all trained on the street to pass on the left, but on a track, the better passing line is on the inside.

So, the slow guy allows the pass on the outside. It looks to me like the other BMW fears to turn in because he'd passed so late and the guy was on his inside. Young come in with an even later pass and fears to turn in because of the slow car and can't stay out because the other passer has stopped on the outside.

The solution seems to be pass on the inside. This would never have happened if the slow guy had held his line and the faster guys gone inside of him for the pass into the turn.

I know on the open straight like the Quattro Club teach, signal, pass on the left, signal and fold back in. But under braking in turns, you have to be on the inside to do it safely. Then you can turn in, worry about your own line, and take the pass safely.

Okay, end diatribe.

Rich
Old 02-14-2002, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A different point.

Hi, Rich

It's not apparent from the short clip, but the inside car had just let a whole train pass. He was on line when the first car passed, but by the time the last car (me) passes him, he's offline. The line for that straightaway starts on the right and then goes to the left. He had to stay right all the way down the straightaway to let everyone by. So, he's not responsible for anything that happened.

As for passing in corners, it's actually pretty safe if everyone is predictable, whether you're passing on the inside, outside, or (God forbid) in the middle. Yes, the inside pass is the norm, but I've done enough events with open passing that I'm pretty comfortable doing just about any line through a turn. And sometimes that inside pass can be dangerous. I remember trying to pass another member of this forum on the inside at turn 14 at Thunderhill. Turn 14 is tricky enough from the outside, but from the inside you have to be REALLY slowed down...I wasn't, I slid right off the exit of 14.
Old 02-19-2002, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My avoidance story left me on the mounds of sears point. At least I didn't rear end an NSX...

I didn't expect to close into him that fast until my tunnel vision due to having a fixation on my line showed a red bumper that I was catching up fast by about 15 to 20mph on the esses of sears point - something I didn't anticipate as he blew me away on the straight earlier before turn 6 and I thought I would catch it at turn 10 instead of 8. Oh well. No backup plan, just kinda panic tap brake (cuz a swerve will cause me to slap the mountain even faster) which send my car sideways to the right then left after I over counter steered. NSX dude probably sees me in his rear view mirror and starts laughing.