Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

I need opinions on a dedicated track car. I'm looking at an '88 944 Turbo tomorrow.

Old 08-02-2003, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need opinions on a dedicated track car. I'm looking at an '88 944 Turbo tomorrow.

I looked through the car classifications of <a href="http://www.emraracing.org">EMRA</a> that I normally run with in my A4 and it seems that the 944 T runs in my ST1 class, which I'm fine with. I need some opinions of cars that will competively run with SCCA and maybe NASA (are they on the east coast?) and whatever car manufacture group that may have club racing, e.g. Porsche, BMW.

Here's the short version: we're selling our '01 Wrangler, financee is going to drive whatever we get until '04 track season, then we're buying a family car for her. Then, I'm going to get it track ready. I'd like to keep the budget down for the car, maybe $5k. Track prep $ is available when the time comes. I guess what I need is for someone to tell me not to get a '88-89 944 T for a track car.

There's lots of info searching and I'm still reading them, but I was just curious what the most recent opinion is. maybe someone in my shoes recently did this - your thoughts?
Old 08-02-2003, 06:24 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Default If you're trying to keep the budget down but want a 944, don't get a Turbo...

...944 Turbos can be really fast around a track and handle great, but they can also be pretty expensive to operate, maintain and repair. A normally aspirated 944 will be more reliable and less expensive.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:54 AM

Default I thought about that, but I'm only worried about the cost of the car, not track prep, maintenance,

and repairs. She's bored with the Wrangler, so we'd like to not have a payment on her car for 8-10 months and we thought of buying a track car.

I just don't feel comfortable putting my A4 on the track any longer, especially since a buddy of mine wrecked his A4 at one of the Pocono road courses earlier this year. I'd like to feel that I can go 9/10 or 10/10 on the track instead of at a 6 or 7 level.

I will look at the N/A 944 as well. What are the performance mods available for these cars? Is there a forum much like this for Porsche?

I will be at AWE early this coming week for further X, XR software tuning/dyno for my A4. I'll have to pick Todd's brain.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:31 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you want to go 10/10, start smaller...like a civic. move on from there

for $5k you'll be race-ready. easy and cheap to fix. faster than you'd be in your porsche at first, no problems if you wreck, etc.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default also all 944s have bad bottom-end bearings...

they have to be converted to a full dry-sump system, they get oil starvation (on the street) and you'll find it virtually impossible to find one that doesn't have bearing damage. Good news is you can get them &gt;$2k. Bad news is the parts are expensive as hell. There is also a factory steering ball-joint you HAVE to use because lowered 944s can get ball-joing failure due to an ackward geometry.

NASA in Arizona is doing a spec 944 class and we raced against a team who ran a 944 but changed to a 968...that's probably a better bet but it needs an LSD.

Also a clutch change on a 944 is like a 6-hour project.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Look in the classifieds of Grassroots Motorsports.

You probably want to pick up a cheaper, less powerful first track car than a 944T. That's sort of like learning how to ride a motorcycle by buying the biggest, fastest sport bike available. You will have a much better learning experience figuring out how to go fast in a low powered car and working your way up from there. Spec Miata is a popular choice. Also, buying a used track car (as long as you are careful) allows someone else to deal with the headache of initially prepping it for the track.<ul><li><a href="http://www.grmotorsports.com/classifieds.php">GRM Classifieds</a></li></ul>
Old 08-04-2003, 05:21 AM

I understand, and have Civics and Miata on the list as well. I just don't feel safe in a small car.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:22 AM

thanks for the info. so, would you go with a 968 then? if so, best MY?
Old 08-04-2003, 05:25 AM

Default see post below. I was thinking about buying a used track car as well. A better plan:

We may just buy her a cheap, used 5-door Saab 9-3 for the year, then we'll part-out/sell my A4 for a new SUV/family car, then I'll drive the Saab to/from work and pick up a ~$5-7k track prepped car.

Basically, she's bored with the Wrangler, wants a Saab again, and will need the family car next year. We'd like to go cheap but reliable for a year for her. Personally, I want to go cheaper, but you can only win so many battles during the war. For me, I want to sell my A4 for a beater and a track car.

So, we're looking for a Saab 9-3 for her and during this winter/early spring, I'll find the track car.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:49 AM
Elder Member

Default hey, ask me how I feel about rallying a Lada! ;)

I do however, feel 100% safe in the civic. a small car with a 6 pt rollcage, nascar door bars, a race seat and 3" harness.

it would take ALOT to get into big trouble in that car... and since you wont be road-racing any time soon, solo is even a safer bet.

regards,
Liam

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I need opinions on a dedicated track car. I'm looking at an '88 944 Turbo tomorrow.