Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

joining something like spec miata?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, it depends

If you are pretty serious about it (as Mark and NASA racer are) yes, you should get a trailer, and then you need either a garage or some big open space to do constant prep work.

If you are really serious like Ken Dobson, you'll arrive and drive in a top-notch-prepped rental.

If you are just in it for occasional fun like me, Spec Miata can work cause you can have a street-legal one to drive to the track, and overall maintenance is relatively low. Have a good shop look at it once a year, do occasional minor maintenance, set the ride-height and alignment for something sane and have fun.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default a)

not really. The IRS has cracked-down on tax deductions for hobbies. You can take a SMALL portion of the expenses as a legitimate advertising expense for your business (like you bought a newspaper ad or something) but in order to LEGITIMATELY deduct the bulk of your racing expenses, your business would have to meet a reasonability test for the benefit you'd get from the racing expense.

ie, if you sell fire-suits and race car parts...it's a pretty legitimate deduction. If you are a computer consultant, it's not gonna work heh.

Some people set up side corporations with websites selling brake pads or duct tape or whatever and they run the racing expenses as deductions against that. More hassle than I ever tried to do but some folks do pretty well that way.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:23 AM

Default i read

street legal means brake pad hassles, rock hard suspension to and from the event, and you can't use less restrictive mufflers?
Old 07-12-2004, 10:23 AM

Default I know u have no interest in karting but none of this would be a major problem if you race karts.

Plus what ever u can afford to rent or buy to race is weak sauce compare to a kart.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: i read

Like I said, it's not for the serious racer, there are disadvantages...

>brake pad hassles

I drive my Hawk Blues to and from the event. Everybody says they eat rotors, but I use them gently and they've been o.k. At worst, replace the rotors a bit more often.

>rock hard suspension to and from the event

True. And noise - you may want earplugs. But isn't that half the fun? :-)

>and you can't use less restrictive mufflers?

You could switch back and forth at the track. Else you lose a HP or two. And your alignment is subobtimal, there goes another half a second.

So the question is, would you rather move up 10 places in the race finish, or save tens of thousands of dollars on a trailer, tow vehichle, garage space, etc... No "correct" answer here, to each his own.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Coupla comments

Since I have a Spec Miata...and keep it at my house...(most of the time)..I feel qualified to comment on this subject.

You need to check with your tax accountant to see if you can write off..some or all of your expenses...I am thinking that you cannot.

As for your region and races during the summer..it all depends...here out west I could reasonably attend about 12-14 races in that period..especially if I do SCCA and NASA races. I have Sears Point, Thunderhill, and Laguna that are close....the schedule is pretty busy here.

Regarding rentals..I have seen Larry Oka rent the same car to one guy over the last two years..and if you commit to using him for a certain number of races..he may give you the same car. However, YMMV..I would assume that you would get different cars each time (it all depends on who you are renting from though). Good luck with that one.

Let me know if you have any other questions..feel free to email me privately.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

oh yeah, most importantly kicking butt in an untrailered car is well, kick butt
Old 07-13-2004, 07:03 PM

Default thanks for the answers..

I've got the number on 4 places that claim to rent. Off to accumulate prices and a better understanding of that way of doing it.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Check out this link

<ul><li><a href="http://www.autoweek.com/promos/specmiata/0708_miata.pdf">Courtesy of Autoweek....</a></li></ul>