AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Motorsport Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/motorsport-discussion-3/)
-   -   LMP - Audi R10 Question (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/motorsport-discussion-3/lmp-audi-r10-question-384649/)

BluStreak 06-27-2008 09:27 AM

LMP - Audi R10 Question

Does anyone know definitively, does the R10 have an automatic self-contained air-jacking system or does the car have to be pulled into a compressor during pit stops?

jbchinoca 06-27-2008 11:13 AM

If you mean "plugged in," to an air source, yes. The jacks themselves are mounted on the car.

snoogins 06-27-2008 11:28 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "plug-in" for the air line at the back of the car?

They don't have an on-board source for compressed air, AFAIK.

Mike S 06-27-2008 11:32 AM

Jack are on the car and it's not air, but nitrogen that is used to lift them. Even WCTC's have built

in "air" jacks.

Mike S

snoogins 06-27-2008 11:43 AM

I know that they have the jacks built in, but the system isn't self contained is it?

I mean, there needs to be an outside source of gas, be it air or nitrogen or whatever, to energize the system. Correct...?

jbchinoca 06-27-2008 12:00 PM

Well, now I'm confused with your question. Pit dude comes over the wall with an "air" hose

and plugs it in, car raises. Tires serviced, he unplugs it, car drops. Except for the air supply, everything else is on the car.

snoogins 06-27-2008 12:11 PM

That's what I mean by "outside source" of air...

In other words, the car doesn't have an on-board compressor to to activate the jacking system. It's like an Indy car in that it needs to be plugged in to the "air" source.

Rally_nutcase_1982 06-27-2008 12:49 PM

Perhaps we can throw some racing logic into the picture and you'll be able to answer the Q....

if you had to design this car by specs and limitations, would you add any weight for any function to the car that is only mandated when the car is standing still?

And if you watch closely then you'll see that the car drops immediately once the external air hose is removed, logic would dictate that if there was a air tank or compressor then it would/should be driver operated, but it isn't.....they have enough to focus on as it is ;-)

Live long and prosper :-)

Mike S 06-28-2008 07:03 AM

Yes. Outside source. No series will allow any pressurizes tanks (safety risk) on board a car.

Additionally, it would obviously add weight and complication, two things you wouldn't want in a race car.

Nitrogen bottles are as prevalent as tires at race tracks. The tracks contract vendors who bring in hundreds for all races, even those where the cars don't have "air" jacks. Nitrogen is used to power the air guns as well. No compressors or power tools (electric, plugged in) are allowed in the pits in any series I know.

Mike S

jbchinoca 06-28-2008 08:13 AM

Or, in the words of David Hobbs, "Kablamo!"