Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Question again - maybe others besides Young will reply

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It would be nice as general guidance....

I guess DE participants break down into two groups as I understand. Those who do this sparingly, or just once, and others who get hooked on it, like me.

I think my comment applies to the latter. I don't know about spending money on suits and crazy kevlar helmets, or modifications, but for me, there is a definitive point. And that point is when a DE regular (frequent attendee) crosses the line from street tires to R compounds. I just did this recently, 2 events ago. And switch to R compounds they will, just as they bump up the HP on their street cars.

I'm not saying that it's the DE school's place to make sure they get a track car, but certainly, there are folks who may know better and can really communicate this. It's like being a wise elder. It would just make some not so obvious stuff, known.
Old 05-06-2002, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think youve had enough DEs. Maybe you should just let people run what they brung

and not rant about what your dad didnt give you. =)
honestly, do you think QC novice group is fast? can a QC novice run without an instructor or go fast without an approval?
3-5 events is not DE novice, i would think. i used to think instructors can 'step you up' to a intermediate level if he sees it in you, is it still the case or somebody is playing 'catch up with my #of 'real' track days, newbie'? =)
Old 05-06-2002, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My dilemma is my car's value is borderline..

It is worth from $15-17k due to its high mileage. I enjoy it on the track and probrably won't stop driving it if my next Allstate renewal has the exclusion. I plan to 1) see if I can get a rider or additional insurance somewhere else to cover it (faultless collision insurance) 2) just don't total the car on the track. I am not sure I would submit a claim under $5k anyway so it is only the rollover type accident that would screw me big time. My problem is 2 cars on Allstate, the house, the umbrellas policy etc. It would be a pain to change.

I wouldn't pay that much for a track rental. I like driving one car a lot and getting to know it. I think I would just get a cheap track car. Anything under $10k would do but that conversation will be fun with the wife. I am going to wait until she has just spent $$$$ on jewelry.

For now, I am covered. I went and checked all my policy updates.
Old 05-06-2002, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What the HELL are you rambling about...

rather than trying to be insulting, trite and comical, say something that is useful, rather than the insults.

Too many people get to DEs and think that after 5 events they can solo. It's like ANYTHING...you can't just set one number as the "sign-off" or "move-up" number. It all depends on the individual case.

But as a rule, most/all events I've been to don't let novices (or some intermediates) run R-compound tires, for example.

3-5 events COULD be advanced. But arbitrary numbers aren't safe. There are students at the QC schools I run that have 5-6 events under their belt, but aren't ready for Intermediate, so they are still novice.

Where is 3-5 events? Beginner? No, certainly not. But not Intermediate either.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:00 PM

Default It is rather counter-productive...

for DE organizers to let you know how much you may (will?) spend on this addiction. Ever hear of a heroin dealer telling a new prospect how much they are going to spend over the years?
Old 05-06-2002, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I never ran solo yet in QC events, although a couple of instructors gave me that option.

Maybe I like being a sponge in QC events, and my lap times aren't too bad, but I don't concentrate on lap times when someone's riding with me.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Actually, at least in the beginning, you'd spend less on a track only car

You figure, I've spent into the 5 figure level with DE events, and if I crash my car, well, then it's going to be in a world of pain.

Suggesting a track only car makes sense. I'm not talking about hard numbers, but if people keep on showing up, they are going to spend money on the DE participation fee anyways. Might as well do it in a car that won't take you to the cleaners.

Much like on this board, a bit of "word for the wise" kind of thing.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default what the HELL dont you understand?

I went solo on my first event with QC. many did. if one is not ALLOWED to go out solo after 1 or 2 events(of 2days each) then i think you have a 'special' case and not worth ranting about here.

how many events before you went solo? do you think 5 events (of 2 days each) should be enough for instructors to trust you with your car?
can a first timer bring a 250HP S4 or the 'rich kid' should just stay home?
Old 05-06-2002, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My $0.02

1. No
2. I would consider it if the price was right.... IIRC someone was renting Spec 7s for somewhere around $500/day at Tracquest events. $1000+/day on top of the cost of the event is approaching the costs of Skip Barber, et al.

3. Probably, but I am getting away from wanting to beat up my daily driver on a regular basis. Ideally, I would love to buy a dedicated track car, especially after I ran into mechanical problems with the S4 at Laguna (power steering reservoir boiled over and PS pump cavitating on the Corkscrew-cause as yet unknown). I just need to convince the CFO that it is cost effective. So far, she ain't buying it.
Old 05-06-2002, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I don't think going SOLO the first time around is something to brag about.

There are so many things to be learned, I can't tell you. Hell sometimes I'm off my normal driving on the track and deserve some discipline, much like Thunderhill this year with the QC.

The problem with going solo is that you'd never know whether you're doing it right or wrong. Period. It could very well be that you're getting a high percentage of good driving in, but there's always more to be done. It's not like it's a jail sentence when an instructor sits in the passenger seat.

I usually start out my events with the instructor, even though I'm allowed to drive by myself. Then somewhere at the end of the day, I may go out one session by myself to see if I can put all the things together and be able to concentrate and put a good lap together.

Then the second day, it's back to instructors, and in the middle of the second day, I'm out by myself one session. Then I grab a whole host of different folks to go take rides with me and give me input. I usually ask them to just watch the first two laps and then tell me what I can do better. And there's ALWAYS room for improvement.

This of course doesn't count all the rides I take with instructors as a passenger where you learn even more.

I really don't understand why it is such a big deal to want to go out by oneself. I've been told that I'm good to go out in the fast group, i.e, the red group or whatever you want to call it. But frankly, I myself don't want to do this. I feel perfectly comfortable in the advanced (blue groups), and besides, I'd lose instruction as the instructors themselves would be driving in the red group.

So I choose to slowly get better where I am. Many times, I've put myself in novice if I notice large horsepower cars in the blue group. Who needs the stress?

Quick Reply: Question again - maybe others besides Young will reply