Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Sad day at Lime Rock

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad day at Lime Rock

<ul><li><a href="http://www.scca.com/news/press03_46.html">scca website</a></li></ul>
Old 06-16-2003, 12:47 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gosh I hope that track's lack of runoff room hasn't killed another one.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:15 PM

Default What are you talking about... lack of runnoff?

I am wondering why you would say there is a lack of runnoff. And why you would say "killed another one" I'm not awaire of more than a few people that have died, and of those I would be curious to know how many where form a lack of runnoff. Lime rock has plenty of runnoff if you ask me. In fact the one place that has major braking has an escape road! Maybe you can elaborate a little bit.

I have the accident on in car video from 2 cars back. I am not part of the police doing the investigation nor am I a doctor but I would say the crash came second in my opinion. We will have to wait to see what the officials say.

I feel terrible for Jason and the rest of his family my best wishes for them.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:23 PM
Elder Member

Default This is a tragedy, but ...

I know of three SCCA single car incidents (at Blackhawk, Grattan, and Road America) in the last 5 years where the driver died of a heart attack. George was 68, and if he did have a heart attack, be thankful that it was a single car incident, but at least he was active doing exactly what he wanted to do until the end.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:13 PM
No Bozos!

Default A tragic loss for the family first and foremost

And a terrible time for SCCA.

1 Autocross fatality
2 PRO RALLY spectators killed
Lime Rock incident

Per Kurt Spitzner at STPR, "if SCCA doesn't get it's act together, racing as we know it will cease to exist".
Old 06-16-2003, 08:22 PM

Default Not sure I follow.......

Why do you think SCCA has not gotten it's act together? Two of last years deaths in Club Racing were heart attacks and it appears this one could be too.

I consider SCCA racing to be very safe. While I can't comment on the Rally scene, the Regional, National, and Pro Series seem very safe.

Consider how many thousands of people race each year in SCCA and how infrequently we hear of these horrible occurences.

Hell in NASCAR with maybe 200 drivers (W.Cup and Busch) they had 5 deaths in one year.

Not sure what SCCA has to do to get their act together.

Regards,

Jon
95 F355 C
88 M5
98 Spec Racer
Old 06-16-2003, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

the uphill has a wall instead, no? i believe some actually flip first before hitting that wall tho
Old 06-17-2003, 04:26 AM
No Bozos!

Default SCCA

pays dearly for insurance.

With the 2 recent deaths in ProRally, the recent AutoX incidents. They are in a position to lose their insurance. The other factor that may play out, is that they would see a huge increase in premiums.

As it is an AutoX runs around $20 to enter.
A RallyX runs around $35-40.
A National ProRally around $725.

Can you imagine a 20-30% increase in costs associated with insurance? Who would want to pay $30-40 for a 5 minute AutoX?

I don't know what the track costs are, but I'm sure that a similar increase there would be devastating.

Kurt Spitzner's(SCCA ProRally director) comment was a quote directly from the SCCA executives.

SCCA is scrambling to make sure that they don't lose their insurance period.

There is a big difference between NASCAR and SCCA, one difference being professional vs. amateur. Along with that is the biggest factor...money.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:57 AM

Default The uphill does have a guardrail and no people don't flip.

The very fast GTP cars had a problem where one flipped because air got underneath it but that would require a VERY fast car! They added a chicane at the top of the hill fro these types of cars to use. And if a car did flip from going over the hill then it would flip down the straight not off the track since the track continues straight. As far as the wall it is about 5 feet of the outside and 30 feet on the inside. It's not really a passing corner unless you have dramatic speed differences so accidents here are infrequent. I think as far as runnoff is concerned this track has a good amount. Certainly not dangerous.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Runoff....?

I see a LOT of earth surrounding that track. At least armco at WG moves. At LRP there is a LOT of solid earth, particularly the uphill and west bend.

Quick Reply: Sad day at Lime Rock