AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Motorsport Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/motorsport-discussion-3/)
-   -   So why are students soloed at ACNA events? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/motorsport-discussion-3/so-why-students-soloed-acna-events-384218/)

gh0st 10-22-2007 06:28 AM

So why are students soloed at ACNA events?

Is it just that the instructor feels you're going to drive safely and not like a lunatic? Heh, maybe they're just bored in my car?

s4wood 10-22-2007 07:46 AM

Lots of reasons...

usually your not soloed until you are ready though. Some people push really hard to be soloed..and they are not ready.

Potomac-Greg 10-22-2007 08:00 AM

That explains why some are NOT soloed. But why sign off anyone?

To answer my own question, getting signed off to solo is part of the progression to upper classes and is even a factor in applying for a race license.

Personally, I like having someone in the car up to a point. I find that my solo runs are the most relaxing and satisfying.

When you solo, you're able to experiment and sort things out in the order and in the way you want to. With an instructor, s/he can and should have his/her ideas of what you should be doing and thinking about in the coming track segments, and that puts your brain in a different (reactive) mode. You need to solo to practice the mental aspects of driving. You need both (instructor and solo) to keep learning.

PS: I never ASK to be solo. To me it seems like that's an instructor's call 100%, and asking to solo suggests the wrong motive.

Silver Streakin' 10-22-2007 08:08 AM

agreed. I've even been asked to slow down (at VIR) because he didn't feel safe at those speeds

without actually being behind the wheel, which I can understand since he has no idea who I am and putting that type of trust in a stranger is (should be) a tall order for anyone. But, I know that I can run that hard, even at a safety school in the experienced/advanced run levels, and should be allowed to, if I want to...assuming it's not putting anyone else in harms way, which I wasn't. He wouldn't let me go as fast I wanted to go into/through the climbing Esses as well as brake as late as I was for T1. maybe he would've been better matched with a beginner/intermediate driver ::shrugs::

Mr. Mom 10-22-2007 08:48 AM

No idea....

although I have seen people solo'd off who shouldn't have been :)

I enjoy the input from instructors.

except this weekend...

One question: why/how are instructors chosen?

Mr. Mom 10-22-2007 08:51 AM

It takes all kinds...

next time ask for another instructor :)

I've had good, and bad ones (IMO). At NEQ events, they've all been good, so far :)

I can't say the same for this weekend...

s4wood 10-22-2007 09:09 AM

LOL...

Another Drew 10-22-2007 09:21 AM

I can't speak for that instructor you had...

There could be other reasons why he/she said for you to slow down. Did he explicitly say why he wanted you to slow down?

If you're trying so hard that you're not breathing or your arms/shoulders are tense, an instructor might ask you to slow down.

If you're driving so hard, you're missing your apex and track out, an instructor might ask you to slow down.

If something about your driving gives an indication they you don't know how to react in an out-of-control situation, an instructor might ask you to slow down.

mirth 10-22-2007 09:22 AM

from my perspective

none of the following has anything to do with your driving in particular; it's just based on my experience instructing.

The fact that you feel comfortable at a given speed *and* have done it before doesn't mean that you're doing it well, or that it feels in control to someone with more experience.

Sometimes I can jump in a car who drives very fast, but they're smooth and controlled enough that I'm instantly comfortable. Other times, you feel the driver doing things that unsettle the car, and if they don't show awareness of it, you have to ask them to back off until they smooth things out.

But I can't speak for all instructors, and you're definitely right that some instructors might not be comfortable at certain speeds no matter what you're doing behind the wheel.

mirth 10-22-2007 09:30 AM

that's pretty much right

ideally, someone who solos should go out with a few things to work on, and then later in the event/day, they might ride with the instructor again to get more feedback, etc. often it doesn't work out quite like that.