Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Something rotten in ACNA-land....

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The BOD, according to his agent, who posted on here earlier, identified him

as a "liability risk" for his DE event presence. Strangly, it seems like half the threads on here have been deleted. This thread took up a whole page at the middle of the week.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, he was allowed to drive his heart out for years at many, many ACNA events. Once Audi

stopped paying him to attend (when they canceled the RS6/Champion program in SCCA WC), he was asked to continue by many chapters and members.

When we informed them he needed to be paid, that was the end of the deal. He was suddenly a "liability", a "danger" and he could not ever be allowed to make money while driving for the ACNA.

Randy's profession is driving on a track for money. He was paid at all but two (events held at tracks he was already at due to prior business) ever, and now it became a matter of who was signing the check. Some BOD members supposedly claimed they thought Randy was just showing up on his own dime to drive with the club membership. Hmmmmmm.

In the end, even if a member wanted to hire Randy and bring him in as their instructor, the would not be allowed as he cannot be allowed to profit.

The BOD went as far as creating special rules on how to handle pro drivers, specifically because of a huge fuss and stir caused by Golden Gate Chapter President Paul Ayers. The rules were made as to how to handle pro drivers, at Ayers request, and when Randy attended the first ever event (which happened to be only weeks post the new rules being issued) at Thunderhill, Ayers followed none of the rules he caused the implimentation of!

Since that time, Randy has appeared at many chapter events, and been paid by chapter and members. Essentially, a bunch of chapters are so fed up with the ACNA and their lack of respect for all Randy has done, they simply ignore the ACNA mandates.

Randy Pobst has more talent in his pinky than 99% of the club's membership and has never had an issue in thousands of laps at ACNA events. The contention that he is somehow more dangerous than the general membership or instructors, is frankly poor and simply not accurate. Randy is safer at 140mph than most people at 80mph. I, for one, would rather be in an RS6 at 160mph on Road America with Randy than 100mph in the same with any instructor with in the ACNA.

After all, he's only won 11 National Championships, Le Mans twice, Sebring more times than I can count, and been an Audi, Porsche and Mazda Factory driver. I mean, what would he know?

Mike S
Old 05-25-2007, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default And there you have it. I have yet to see a response from the BOD members

being challenged, including Mike Anderson, and Don Gruenler. NO repsonse whatsoever from any other BOD member. I did receive an acknowledgement from Dean Treadway thanking me for my interst in the wayward course ACNA has taken.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stupid. Randy did more to sell people on the Audi image than anyone I know.

I never got to attend an event where Randy was driving, but people who got a ride-along were among the luckiest souls on the planet.

Now that he's not driving Audis, the connection may be lost, but he's still a legend. The presence of a professional driver at an HPDE definitely enhances the experience.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:03 AM

Default especially one that can tell you how to better your car. I know he helped a certain 996 owner dial

in his suspension and is now smoother and faster (read: safer, if you like) on the track.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Would I be incorrect in assuming you mean a BOD member?
Old 05-26-2007, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default AMEN to that....he is a super guy and probably one of the nicest drivers you

would ever meet. I would love to have him teach me how to drive my RS6 to correct way....at any speed!
Old 05-26-2007, 11:05 PM

you would be incorrect
Old 05-27-2007, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Assumed since you said "certain." Protect the innocent.