Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

What the racers know.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the racers know.

Why do the racers on the forum seem to be know-it-alls and appear to put down the track-day folks some times?

The reason is what we know...the golden last second. Talent, victory, professionalism...ALL resides in that last golden second. Doesn't matter if it's a Formula Vee or a GTI cup car or an F1 car...that last second never gives itself to you.

Anyone can take a car up TO that golden last second but being able to get INTO that last second is the achievement and racers have the opportunity to know wether or not they have done it through lap records, race wins and championships...they race against their peers in matched cars where often the ONLY separation is that golden second.

Now don't get me wrong, track-day junkies are having fun, learning tons, enjoying their cars as they were meant to BUT...chances are there isn't one person out there in that golden second. Now on forums all over autodom...there are guys saying "I did a XXX time" or "I passed a XXX car"...doesn't mean a thing...unless you KNOW you are in that golden second you are only driving around a track and I certainly don't encourage searching for the golden second in an expensive street car without proper safety equipment because cars get bent and people get hurt trying to get into that golden second.

So there it is...the thing that separates what we know from what they don't...until you have driven something in that golden second you are only PART way there. Why is Alex Yoong so slow? Is he a horrible driver? If we jumped in his F1 car would we go as fast? The answer is he CANNOT get into that golden second and therefore despite being an F1 driver will never amount to anything...he'll never be successful.

Up front, there are QUITE A FEW drivers who can get in the golden second and some of them are limited by the fact that their cars golden seconds are below other cars so they don't win...THAT is how competitive it is.

If you are REALLY serious about your driving and about motorsports...you owe it to yourself to get a racing machine which will allow you to try to explore the golden second...

...otherwise HOW WILL YOU KNOW?
Old 04-09-2002, 09:54 AM

Default A good read.

But I've no comment..
basicly I've no idea what to add.

I guess I'll have a better idea after this saturday.

I was just thinking about Alex Yoong the other day. To me the guy just doesn't seem to "want it." His record of being last (but with a good finishing rate) is better then Michael's rate of winning a race.

To me that seems like a attitude problem. About the golden second.. how can a guy make it in F1 when he can't be in the golden second when lower level racer can? Is he just a kick *** driver without the "need?"
Old 04-09-2002, 10:28 AM
Au

Default Amen; please foward to my wife

It's really hard to convince her that I actually NEED a SpecMiata or FFR.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You know what blows my mind....

she has a heart attack if I mention something like buying a racecar but won't hesitate to spend $1500 on friggen' outdoor furniture. Deep sigh. I just need to make so much money she won't care.

I agree, that there is no way you can even get near that place if compromises are being made due to fear of balling up your street car. That is what instructors are always trying to tell HPDE students. Don't try to go there, you are not racing.

BTW, speaking of that Lotus, that thing is amazing. I would see it in my mirrors exiting Magic Mtn. as I was making the right towards Riverside. At track out at Riverside I would look in my mirrors and he was stuck to my bumper. I am exiting Riverside at 100mph so that thing is simply flying through there. It weighs 1500 lbs, has huge brakes, pretty fat Yokos and I think all of its weight is almost below the tires. It is simply a go kart. I would not want to crash in it though.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default that might not be so hard...

if you scan the internet you can find dozens of photos of expensive cars wrecked at a track day and remember, that a wrecked race car can usually have most of the expensive bits salvaged (unlike a wrecked street car). Our blue Civic was written off but 90% of the parts were reuseable so we only had to get a new salvage title car (for $2600) to rebuild it.

Also the fact that you have to use a cage etc...makes it safer.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default money still buys seats...

most under-funded teams need a "money" driver in order to afford a "talent" driver so there's always room for a rich hack in a team that needs cash.

The thing about the golden second is it is NOT within everyone's reach...most people just can't do it.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:06 PM
Au

Default Yeah, but the safety argument only gets a raised eyebrow

and a "Well, then, don't do it."

See, the problem is that I was AutoXing back when we first started going out. That was ok; low risk, low cost, etc. Now that I'm spending more time on "real" tracks, it's a different story. She seems ok with it as long as it stays on the "DE" end of the scale (even though I run w/o an instructor). I like your speech because it eloquently captures the reason I enjoyed autocross - the _quantification_ of relative skill, my own improvement, and the wisdom (or lack thereof) of chassis changes. It captures the more cerebral essence of what you do -- that this isn't just a visceral rush.

Sorry for the on-line therapy, just learning to cope with my addiction. I just need to find insurance to cover my time trial days . . .
Old 04-09-2002, 01:32 PM

Default He paid his way in?

Had no idea he was rich. Or was it sponsorship?
Old 04-09-2002, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sure...same with Pedro Diniz...

If you've ever bought groceries in Sao Paulo, you've helped to pay for Pedro's F1 ride.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:41 PM

Default So, can I say wow

Becaues they made it into F1 with holding another job.

Quick Reply: What the racers know.