Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

What is the difference between a linear and a progressive spring?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the difference between a linear and a progressive spring?

Are there any major mfg's out there that make a linear? I am looking at a set of Eibach Audi Eurosports and I don't know if they are linear or not. Eibachs website says they don't make a linear spring, but the archives here make the claim that they are linear. Any insights?

Thanks
Old 06-01-2002, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What is the difference between a linear and a progressive spring?

in a nut shell, linear rate springs are constant rate springs. meaning there the same stiffness all the way to full compression (coil bound) where as progressive may start out at 250ft/lb and end up at 375ft/lb at full compression. those numbers are just an example, but i think u get the idea that progressive rate springs get stiffer as they compress. this is how alot of street lowering springs are. i know eibach makes them. its a good idea i guess for the street because there not so stiff over bumps and what not, but when u compress thm past the "soft" part,lets say around a turn, they'll deflect cornering forces more. the thing is u have to compress the spring more which adds roll and compresion travel. but for lapping days, autocross, ect. its better to go with linear rate springs because there constant rate. there's no compression travel to gt to the stiffer part of the spring. so there in essancegoing to be flatter. and flat cornering is goooood.
hope i didn't confuse u too much.
-spenc