Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

What would you get for a 90% track 10% street car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you get for a 90% track 10% street car?

I've probably got about $25,000 to spend and I would like that to include the car, a set of wheels, and a tire trailer to pull behind the car.

THE most important thing to me is good reliability. I know track cars break but I would like this one to break less and when it breaks to be cheap to fix. The car should have a great balance and be somewhat light. Power is nice, but I don't want power at the expense of handling. Cheap spares/tires is a plus.

The car that jumps out at me is a 2002 Z06. Pretty good balance, reliable with some upgrades (oil cooler, tranny cooler) and spares are pretty reasonable. Power is just awesome though it could be too much for me.

Another car I might consider, though I know nothing about them, is the Mitsu Evo. Probably a 2006 or so. Fairly light, great awd handling, and decent power. I don't know about the reliability and the cost of maintenance and spares.

Some kind of BMW...maybe a Z3 M Coupe (the ugly one). Good power, pretty reliable with maintenance, fairly light. This is the kind of car I'm used to so it would be a quick learning curve.

Lotus Elise. Can I get one for about $25,000? Would it be worth checking into?

A dark horse favorite might be the Mazdaspeed 3. I really dig that car and it has decent power/weight. And there's something to be said for a track car with a warranty.

Car would be driven on the street maybe one weekend a month and live in a warehouse when not on track.

Thank for your opinions.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1997 E36 M3...a nice one.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't laugh, but I'm kind of intrigued by the new Spec Focus category.

Certainly not in the same classe as Z06 HP-wise(!!!) but it's a simple little car that should be cheap to run. I also kind of like the way it looks. Downside is low power and FWD.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:22 PM

Default I think it's ultimately a qualitative decision

what do you want to drive?

the other big question: how much depreciation can you tolerate?

anyway, here are a few ideas you haven't mentioned:

Mazda RX-8 -- really, really sweet handling cars, and can be had with a warranty. Out of the box, the most neutral street car I've driven on the track. nice, peaky 9000rpm engine that really only comes alive on the track anyway. and used, these are very reasonably priced.

1978-86 911sc/carrera -- can be had reliable and track-ready for ~17-18k... very light, powerful, spares not so cheap, but also shouldn't depreciate. also, a challenge to learn to drive (both a pro+con)

Mini Cooper S...

Prelude SH
Old 11-12-2007, 01:40 PM

I have a '98 M3 for the street...love it but it's not ideal for a track car.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Pat
AudiWorld Super User

Default A first generation Boxster with a 996 engine can be had for that price.

Faster than an Enzo through the slalom, great HP to weight ratio and there are tons around for extra parts when things break.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you look hard enough, you could probably find an Elise for that kind of money.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I love my SVT Focus, although it is not a spec racer

It's what I've got and I'm happy with it. From a practical use perspective, it's exactly as suggested: 90 percent track and 10 percent street (maybe a little more street just to keep the car running). The mileage is about 50/50 due to out and back to track mileage and such.

Bought it new in 2004 and have been pushing it to be more and more of a track focused car until now it will be getting the front half of a custom cage welded in over the winter. 30+ track days under its belt and still ticking.

<a href="http://home.comcast.net/~mysvtftoy/">Link to my car blog</a>

There's a bunch of cars the for sale on <a href="http://forums.focaljet.com/vehicles-sale/">www.focaljet.com/vehicles-sale</a> all the time (requires login to see for sale stuff). Find one that matches specific power interests, put a cage in, seats, fire suppression, harnesses, and you're good to go for much less $25K. I've seen fully-caged, well-sorted, track tested FI cars sell for under $10,000.

It'll never be a monster at the track--unless it's totally overpowered. Having said that, Focus Sport has come up with a couple of great time-trial/track cars. Nonetheless, not the car for someone needing RWD.

A well-known local guy here in the PNW purchased a 2003 SVT Cobra and rebuilt the thing top to bottom. He LOVES it and it goes like stink. I'm sure it cost him more than $25K in the end though. Here's an informational link:

<a href="http://www.cantrellmotorsport.com/Ford_Mustang_Cobra/index.html">Link to SVT Cobra</a>
Old 11-12-2007, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ack..that is one expensive car to fix if it breaks

There is a wreck at my mechanics place...needs $12K to fix..the guy just left it there for the past 12 months.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default considered a miata?

A stock miata is a huge amount of fun on the track, and if you really want extra power you could find one of the factory turbo cars (or do a super/turbocharger on your own).

The biggest thing that drove me to the miata was that it's cheap to operate. Anything with a lot of power will probably go thru tires &amp; brakes at a good clip.

I did 20+ days this year and that was on one set of brake pads ($150 shipped) and rotors from last year (they'll get replaced over the winter and were $80 for all 4 corners). One set of RA1s got me thru the season as well.

Miatas are reliable and easy to work on. This year on my '95 miata (2nd year for it on the track) I've had to swap in a new radiator and a new master/slave clutch cyl. That was $250 total in parts :-)

The miata tows 2 sets of tires nicely (rains and drys) and is bearable around town and for drives to the track (though a bit uncomfortable for 6+ hour drives).

I know a local guy with a well-sorted street-legal track-set miata going for $9500. Email me if you want his contact info.

Quick Reply: What would you get for a 90% track 10% street car?