Advice on anchor auto body......

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice on anchor auto body......

Need some opinions on this place, never been here before but I need a really good caring body shop that will care for the S5 as if its their own. Looking to repaint and flare the rear fenders of the S5. The 295s are just a bit wide and rubbing has caused a small amount of burn in the clear coat. I raised my coils but with more than 2 people in the car, or lets say golf bags, i still rub.

I am almost positive I am going to use anchor due to the trustworthy reviews.... How are there prices? Are they good/cool with this kind of aftermarket body work?

TIA!!!
Old 07-08-2008, 01:18 AM
Ace Ventura

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Have used them twice but not for special type stuff you want. Have always found <more>

Billy Spinazola at Anchor VERY easy to work with. My suggestion would be to make an appointment to stop out and talk to him about the work you want done. I am comfortable saying that if Billy thinks you should go somewhere else he will tell you so.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Stop by and ask to see Billy. He's very friendly and is willing to chat about what you want

done to your car. Billy is the type of person that will get down to splitting millimeters so he's very meticulous at what he does and is quite good at it.

Hard to put a price on it because it all depends on what you want done and how long it'll take him but you'll definitely get your monies worth with Billy.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anchor is very good, but for you I would suggest Dick's in Somerville, they deserve a look

I use Anchor for some things as they are very good and pretty quick.
I personally think Dick's has a better operation, has state of the art spray booths, and does a lot more really high end cars daily.
Just visit both and form your own opinion based on what you see and hear.
Having seen your posts, I think you would be happier at Dick's but be prepared to wait a bit unless your car is "down".
Old 07-08-2008, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have used Dick's and i give them a perfect 10! Excellent work.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default before you do this, it's important that you know how much you will hurt the value of your car

repainting both rear quarters screams "I've been hit!" to anyone who knows how to appraise a car. if you ever trade the car in, this paintwork will significantly lower the trade value (although not as much on an S5 as on other cars, given that they are so desireable).

my advice would be to roll the fenders with a proper fender-roller and liberal heatgun use, then carefully touch up any damage to the clearcoat.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default How much are you rubbing by?

Unless you're looking for big fender flares (and the big tires and big $ to go with them), you may have better luck going down to 285s and/or having your wheels machined just a few mm to reduce the offset.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have used Dick's before and their quality is amazing

However, for non-insurance work, their prices are about double or triple the norm, and I don't think i'd have my car back till 2009....

That is NOT to say their quality isnt worth the asking prices!

Maybe I'll e-mail Frank and see if I can still get a quote and estimate on time...
Old 07-08-2008, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If it is done right, paint work should be a minimal....

Plus, you cant roll S5 fenders... There is nothing to roll.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default not that bad, but it was often enough to just turn the clear a slight hint

of yellow on the small spot its hitting. I cant run 285s due to overall diameter issues with tire sizing. I need to repair the clear anyways and figure flaring these guys slightly will help with the issue.

I also have raised the rear coils significantly but I still rub slightly with 2 people and 2 sets of clubs, I'd like to eliminate it entirely.

Quick Reply: Advice on anchor auto body......