Picking up the car tomorrow!! can I get temp plates until I get the title and registration??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up the car tomorrow!! can I get temp plates until I get the title and registration??

I don't want to wait!haha
can I do this?
Old 07-07-2008, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

no temp plates in MA
Old 07-07-2008, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

can I put on old plates until then? Could I get stopped and ticketed?
Old 07-07-2008, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

You can run the risk but if you get stopped, having no valid registration is not good.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I believe you can drive to the registry to get plates...
Old 07-07-2008, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default but only when you have the title (used car) or certificate of origin (new car)...

...with a bill of sale to pay the proper sales tax (of course) on top of the registration and title fees.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

where on the rmv site does it say this? I've always wanted to see the letter of the law printed.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default info here...

from the DMV site:

Q: I found a car I'd like to buy in Connecticut. How do I register it in Massachusetts?

A: First, you'll need to obtain car insurance for it in Massachusetts. The insurance agent will sign and stamp an RMV-1 Application for Registration and Title. Take that form with you to your local RMV, along with the manufacturer's certificate of origin if the vehicle is new, or the current title signed over to you if you bought the car used. Be sure to have the Bill of Sale and current odometer reading with you when making application.

Q: Can I get a temporary tag for my car?

A: The Massachusetts RMV does not issue temporary tags to individuals. Dealers can issue a 12-day temporary tag if the General Registration tag has been lost or stolen, but the tag must be returned to the RMV when the replacement is received.<ul><li><a href="http://www.dmv.org/ma-massachusetts/buying-and-selling-faqs.php">http://www.dmv.org/ma-massachusetts/buying-and-selling-faqs.php</a</li></ul>
Old 07-07-2008, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default to me, that doesn't say that I can legally drive the car w/o plates.

but of course, I'm dense like that... any thoughts?
Old 07-07-2008, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default You can't...you must register the vehicle before you drive it unless the car is traded in...

...if you trade in a car, you can drive on the former car's tags for 7 or 10 days (?) with the bill of sale showing the trade-in, during which time you can then have the registration transferred to the new car.

However, if there is no trade-in, the car must be registered first, then it can be legally driven and covered by insurance.

When I bought the 4.2 in Chicago, I sent payment in full, dealer sent me the papers, insurance company ran to the registry for me to transfer the vanity plate, then flew out to Chicago with the tags and drove it back.

That was the only legal way for me to get the car home myself.

Quick Reply: Picking up the car tomorrow!! can I get temp plates until I get the title and registration??