New Member Welcome Area We've gathered the info you need if you are new to the AudiWorld forums

A5 Nav System vs Google Maps

Old 07-31-2018, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 Nav System vs Google Maps

Am I doing something wrong, I thought the nav system in my 2018 A5 Sportback would work like google maps. I'm finding two issues with the built-in nav system:

1. It is not real time. It doesn't account for traffic or slowdowns. If my commute route home is 35 minutes without traffic, that's what the Audi nav system says. In reality, my commute may be 1 hour and that's what Google Maps says. GM highlights in red traffic and slowdowns and gives me real time accurate arrival times. Audi nav just gives me the route and the arrival time with zero traffic.

2. It doesn't always give the best route. This is less of an issue as most alternative routes are different by only 5-10 minutes. But Google Maps seems to give the best routes.

So my question is: Am I not using the Audi nav system correctly or is this just how the system works. Any feedback would be appreciated!
Old 07-31-2018, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Are you selecting it to give you multiple routes? Is AudiConnect active?

Any nav system is only as good as the data put into it in the first place. In some areas unfortunately, you'll find some systems work better than others. At other times, they can be spot on to one another. I took a trip Sunday, about an hour and a half from home, to see a waterfall, took the dog. I used Waze in the background and viewed the Audi map and turn by turn in the foreground. Both were spot on with ETA, and traffic delays as I would in and out of some small PA towns (I purposely ignored highways for the trip there).

But in other areas of even my state (PA), sometimes Apple Maps is better than Waze, etc. I only have limited exposure to google maps
Old 07-31-2018, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only entered single destinations and I was having the same issues with and without AudiConnect.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpower
Am I doing something wrong, I thought the nav system in my 2018 A5 Sportback would work like google maps. I'm finding two issues with the built-in nav system:

1. It is not real time. It doesn't account for traffic or slowdowns. If my commute route home is 35 minutes without traffic, that's what the Audi nav system says. In reality, my commute may be 1 hour and that's what Google Maps says. GM highlights in red traffic and slowdowns and gives me real time accurate arrival times. Audi nav just gives me the route and the arrival time with zero traffic.

2. It doesn't always give the best route. This is less of an issue as most alternative routes are different by only 5-10 minutes. But Google Maps seems to give the best routes.

So my question is: Am I not using the Audi nav system correctly or is this just how the system works. Any feedback would be appreciated!

did you activated Audi connect? Have you selected live traffic data on MMI? It gives you a route that you selected as a preference fastest
​​​​​​, shortest ​​​​​, or no highway and so one
Old 08-09-2018, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

It sounds like your traffic data feed is not working. That would be the first step. Even if you are not actively navigating you should see the roads being colored red, orange and green depending on the traffic. If you don't see that, then your Audi connect is not active. It needs to be activated by the dealer on the newer cars as there are license requirements. Once it is activated you can then turn on dynamic routing in the settings, which will incorporate traffic into the routing and suggest better routes if found. The new system doesn't automatically reroute, but there's an icon popping up on right side towards the top and if you press the right function button next to the rotary **** it will show you the better routes it found and you can either stay on the current route or select the faster route. BTW, Audi connect requires a monthly subscription fee once you exhausted the 6 month trial subscription.

Last edited by superswiss; 08-09-2018 at 05:03 PM.