New Member Welcome Area We've gathered the info you need if you are new to the AudiWorld forums

iPhone Xr - Apple Car Play not working correctly!!!!!

Old 11-08-2018, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone Xr - Apple Car Play not working correctly!!!!!

I have a 2018 S5 Sportback - Until recently I used an older iPhone model and I didn't have any issues with Apple Car Play.

I now have a new iPhone Xr and I'm having multiple issues with Apple Car Play. Issues that I am now experiencing are as follows:
  1. When trying to play music via Spotify in Apple Car Play the display screen does not show what music is being played, does not give you the ability to skip to the next song etc. Basically the screen becomes unresponsive and is pretty much blank. The App just doesn't show properly or at all apart from the Spotify name at the top. Everything else is greyed out. The same thing goes for Mix Cloud and some other apps. Funny thing is there is no problem playing songs from the phone itself. Sounds come through the system fine - you just cant control anything via the display console which is a huge pain.
  2. When the phone is plugged in and Apple Car Play activated if you select an App such as Spotify and even messages it hangs and you are unable to scroll to other apps using the control wheel. You literally have to unplug g your phone from the middle console connection and plug it back in, wait for Apple Car Play to come up again and then you can use the control wheel to scroll through the apps. As soon as you select an App though it typically hangs and you have to repeat the process.
  3. I've tried rebooting the phone, its at the latest software level, I've used a different cable other than the supplied Audi USB iPhone cable and it does not make a difference.
Has anyone seen this or have any ADVICE - this is ridiculous considering the fact this should be a flawless process as it was with an older iPhone model. This makes Apple Car Play completely defunct and unusable. One would think Audi and Apple would be in SYNC in terms of the tech being used in their cars especially new models - REDICULOUS
Old 11-08-2018, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

There are a number of similar reports from people with the iPhone XS. I'm assuming you restored a backup from your old phone on your new XR. That can potentially bring over corrupt settings or messing up settings on the new phone, especially if you had an iPhone for a few years and gone through many iOS updates. Try resetting your settings (Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Settings). This won't delete your data and apps, but it will reset all the phone's settings to their defaults. This seems to have worked for some or at least minimized the issues. If this doesn't work, then set your XR up as a new phone instead of restoring a backup.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

@superswiss thanks for your reply - yes you are right I restored my old backup to the new device. I'm going to try what you proposed. I'll let everyone know what happens as a result. Thanks again!!!!
Old 11-09-2018, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The reset didn't work unfortunately. I'm still having the same issues. I'm wondering if a full rebuild of the device is going to make a difference. It's a huge pain to have to go through a full rebuild for the outcome to be the same.

I'm wandering if others have had to do this and what the outcome was?
Old 11-09-2018, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

There are other threads around the forum about the same issue. Sounds like rebuilding the phone doesn't help. It's some kind of a compatibility issue between Audi and the iPhone XS/XR.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I found that if I press the parking button and the rear camera comes up it'll go back to normal (leave the black screen)