New Member Welcome Area We've gathered the info you need if you are new to the AudiWorld forums

Manage two remote control keys for one Audi vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 04:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manage two remote control keys for one Audi vehicle

Would you please suggest guidelines for using two remote control keys for one 2018 Audi car? I want to ensure that each driver's personal settings are correctly used when two key holders are inside or near the vehicle.

It is recognized that proximity sensors are present in the doors and tailgate, and the coverage area may extend out 4-5 feet in order to detect a remote control key.

The owner's manual indicates that when the ignition is turned off or when the vehicle is locked, personal convenience settings are stored and assigned to the remote master key. The stored settings are automatically recalled when you unlock the vehicle, open the doors or turn on the ignition .

What should be done when a driver change is needed for a trip? Should the outgoing driver turn the ignition off, exit the car, close the driver door, and lock the driver door, all while the incoming driver opens the passenger door, exits the vehicle, optionally closing the passenger door, and finally assumes the driver duties.

Must the locking and unlocking be done next to the proximity sensors, or is it sufficient to be within sight of the car and use the remote push buttons from a distance in order to apply the correct personal settings.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

you can store the settings on the door on 1 and 2. Use the same key, no need to bring both keys - press 1 when main driver is about the drive, press 2 when the second driver starts their stint
Old 01-20-2018, 08:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, SCarGuy. I started that way but then noticed it is for the driver's seat profile which consists of seat, steering wheel, and both external mirrors. The complete set of personal settings appears to be handled with the remote control key. My wife and I are often in the car with a key in our pockets. I am trying to control which of the two keys is running the show.

My former car BMW 535i also had those two buttons, but they represented all the personal settings. When you started the car, it displayed the profile being used, and offered an opportunity to switch profiles.

At night the Audi shows red interior lights for me, and blue lighting for her. That is about the only way I know what's going on, without carefully examining some of the unique personal settings.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

In addition, the term "remote master key" was used in the manual without explanation of the meaning. I think it is whichever of the two keys which happens to be supplying the personal settings. If true, I am just trying to learn how to force a specific remote control key to become the "master".

It's unlikely that the "unwanted" key has to be walked 100 yards off the interstate and buried in the dirt until the "master" is established.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by billstroud
In addition, the term "remote master key" was used in the manual without explanation of the meaning. I think it is whichever of the two keys which happens to be supplying the personal settings. If true, I am just trying to learn how to force a specific remote control key to become the "master".

It's unlikely that the "unwanted" key has to be walked 100 yards off the interstate and buried in the dirt until the "master" is established.
The primary key has the glossy back, the secondary key has the matte backing
Old 01-21-2018, 06:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The car is a 2018 Audi A4 Prestige. I thought both keys were completely identical when delivered. I will double check when wife returns home.
Maybe it's going to take a detailed test to answer the questions. I'm surprised a google search failed to yield much information. Also, you would think that Audi has an email guide for sending to confused owners. I am waiting for a response from customer service.

It would be useful to know the best procedure for switching drivers during a trip. Most likely, the only things that matter are activities near the driver's door and interaction with the start button.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The keys are not identical

There are all sorts of tutorial videos in your myaudi portal, which your dealer signs you up for at delivery. Your sales associate should also make him or herself available to you post sale, just as they were available to you pre-sale. This is all stuff that also is part of a comprehensive delivery.

It's always interesting to see how much people brag about the discounts they allegedly received, but rarely commend on their positive delivery experience. If you don't understand things in the car, and you can't get answers from the people that sold it to you, that is a poor delivery experience personified. Regardless of the discount you may have received (saying this a general manner of course, not to you specifically)
Old 01-22-2018, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for helping about the keys are not identical. I completely missed it. I will try to determine why. Perhaps it just helps a person recognize their own key.

I should have spent more time on the key subject during delivery. Knowing about the BMW did not help transitioning to Audi. The keys were a little troublesome from the start. We bought two cars within a short period. The Q7 Prestige already had the Vehicle Code scratched and you could see it. The A4 Prestige did not include the vehicle code thing in the box at all, and had to be ordered from Germany.

Thanks again for getting me straightened up about the different keys. It is much appreciated.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It is for the reasons you mentioned - so each driver can quickly recognize their key, which can also potentially store their settings.

When I hand people the keys to their new Audi, I always hand the primary one, and explain that it has the glossy back. I then take the second key out of the presentation box, and show them the matte back. When we do delivery, sometimes clients will store their settings right away, others want a bit of time to play with seat/wheel/mirror settings. But I always activate the 'store on key' function, so that when/if they do elect to save their desired settings, they can easily do so.

I've had a few cars come in on dealer trades that were missing the plastic key tag. That code is used to "marry" you as the key user to the app for the car. If you need assistance setting that part up, and the dealer can't/doesn't do it for you, let me know. That is all that scratched keytag is for though.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I requested information from Audi. A very talented support person called and provided guidelines to use two remote control keys.

Following is a summary of the remarks.

The current driver will exit the car and lock the vehicle, which will save their personal settings.

The next driver will unlock the car, which will place their personal settings in effect.