New Member Welcome Area We've gathered the info you need if you are new to the AudiWorld forums

New audi owner sub/amp question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New audi owner sub/amp question

Hello all....coming over to the german side from american and japanese cara. Ive always installed my own radios amps and subs...but wow...my head hurts looking at all the ways to isntall a sub.

My current vehicles
2003 Audi a4 3.0
2008 Audi a6 4.2

I am looking to install 2 subs and amp into each. What is the easier way to do this. Ive searched but like i said, found tons of written stuff with no pics. Please help!

Options have varied from taping before/after stock amp with cut rcs's to buying in line converted.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey dude. I did the same thing when I looked at the wiring to install mine. I had to get it professionally done at Pro Auto Sound And Security. And it took them 6 hours! Worth it though. The guy explained what he or they had to do and I would have definitely ****ed something up if I did it myself. But when he explained it to me, yeah. Major head ache. I got my sub box with my 2-12 in Kenwoods and 1150 wat amp installed. Sounds godamn amazing in my 06 A8L though!
Old 07-14-2017, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ha, for me I pretty much just went full aftermarket from the head-unit and back. replaced all the speakers and amp with a four-way and two, two-way amps for my subs. no regrets.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Lauwdi
Ha, for me I pretty much just went full aftermarket from the head-unit and back. replaced all the speakers and amp with a four-way and two, two-way amps for my subs. no regrets.
what HU did you go with? im possibly looking for a double din that handles bluetooth ad2p. not really caring for navigation however, if it can mimic my iphones/android screen, that would be sweet!

also 6 channel would be great so i could possibly upgrade all my speakers and wire up my subs that way.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mrjeancw
what HU did you go with? im possibly looking for a double din that handles bluetooth ad2p. not really caring for navigation however, if it can mimic my iphones/android screen, that would be sweet!

also 6 channel would be great so i could possibly upgrade all my speakers and wire up my subs that way.
personally, I own a MK1 TT so i only had room for a single din without extensive modification. went with the Pioneer DEH 80 PRS which at the time was top of the line (2013) still holds up great to this day, B/T, hands free, SD, CD, AUX, 2 USB ins. also comes with individual 3-way high-pass/low pass, slope and 26 point EQ adjustment for all channels. its great!

I can only assume since then that pioneer has added more bits and bobs to their lineup.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So i kept looking and saw a write up using a loc. My setup consist of 2 kicker comp r 2ohm dvc and a cxa 1200.1 mono amp. The subs have a switch for 1ohm ea or 4 ohm ea. Currently running them at 4ohm so its 2 ohms at the amp.

The problem im having now is that rhe amp goes into protect all the time and then switches off to regular and then peotext again. I have lowered all the levels on rhe amp including all the levels at the loc and still hits protect when the base is supposed to hit. Im wondering if maybe the ground/negative cable has something to do with this or wheter i need a cap. Im stumped. They are bridged at 2ohm since the amp has 4 connectors for speaker wire.

Any ideas what i should check forst?