New Member Welcome Area We've gathered the info you need if you are new to the AudiWorld forums

Oil issues...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil issues...

Hi all

Not quite sure if something like this has already been discussed on the forum but I have given a look throughout the forum and didn't find anyone talking about this specifically.

To start, I have a 2011 audi a4 1.9 techniq. Hasn't given me many problems at all really.

About a month ago I started getting the warning to say 'add max 1L oil'. I bought some oil and was going to add to get me to my next service. (Due in 5,000 miles) However only a day later a warning came up telling me to reduce oil. I decided not to add any and to ring audi to book in an appointment. Since then, the warnings have changed pretty much every couple of days. (most of the time no oil warning at all). I presumed it had to be a sensor issue seeming I was getting all different sorts of warnings.

I brought it to audi yesterday and their conclusion was that there was 7 litres of oil in my car instead of the recommended 5... But they did the last service back in November 2017 and nobody has gone near my oil tank since! They claimed there's no way they added too much oil. That they have readings to make sure this never happens and that they even have it linked to their payment system so I wouldn't have been able to get a correct invoice for my service back in 2017 if they had actually included the 7 litres. Firstly, do ye know if this makes sense or is complete nonsense? Obviously they tried to charge me yesterday which I straight down refused as I said they're the only garage to have gone near my oil since the end of 2017 and I've had too much oil in my car since.

The mechanic then came to talk to me and what he said was even more worrying. He insisted that only 5 litres of oil was added and there's no way 7 litres of oil was put in by audi. He said that if I didn't add the oil, 2 litres of fluid must have leaked into the oil since my last service. Would that be possible? Surely 2 litres is a way too much fluid to leak into an oil tank? Have any of ye experienced such a thing?

Anyway, they reduced the levels to 5 litres and told me to monitor between now and my next service... I suppose if it's up again by then there must be something leaking into my oil... I know it's a bit of a strange one, so any guidance or suggestions as to what's happening would be appreciated?

Thanks
Old 10-17-2018, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suggest pulling an oil sample. Perhaps coolant is mixing with the engine oil.