AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   New Member Welcome Area (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/new-member-welcome-area-162/)
-   -   Playing “Pass the turd?” Paintwork found during PPI (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/new-member-welcome-area-162/playing-%93pass-turd-%94-paintwork-found-during-ppi-2942958/)

noteasybeingreen1 02-13-2018 06:01 AM

Playing “Pass the turd?” Paintwork found during PPI

Hello,
I found my dream A8 for what I thought was a fair price. Clean Car Fax, optioned out just the way I like it (rare set of options) from a reputable and well known, but non Audi dealer. Car has 30k miles on it and is a 2014. Car appears to have been titled by Audi, then sold as a cpo so I guess this was a demo that was sold to the previous owner who traded the car in on another sale at this dealership. The car was serviced at this dealership and the people I’ve talked to at the dealership seem to know the previous owner very well, a very wealthy man, so I’m guessing the past owner is a very good customer of this dealership.

I felt great about the deal, but because I’m not a car guy, take it to an Audi dealer for a pre purchase inspection and they find no mechanical issues or frame issues, but they do see that there has been extensive paintwork all along both sides and front of the car. When I saw the car again after the inspection, I can certainly see a few “fish eye” marks that show dust on the new paint where it hasn’t adhered to the body and some Grit in the paint, but generally it isn’t noticeable, Car looks great. Dealer seems surprised about this development but the fish eyes in the paint on the top of the fender are pretty obvious- even to my now YouTube trained eye so I wonder how this car got through as a trade without them knowing and they weren’t able to disclose this to me.

Paintwork appears to have been done a long time ago, as the paint seems to have the majority of the 30k miles on it, with wear and tear that I would expect to see, so I don’t think this was done recently by someone trying clean up rock chips. Car was a demo when the previous owner bought it, so I’m wondering if the guy driving the demo scraped it up and the original Audi dealership fixed it and sold it, but who knows.

Again no accidents on the carfax. Dealer says there are no tool marks on the bolts, and the dealer is insistent that there is no way the previous owner could have changed the panels out or any parts without it being reported to Audi.

This paintwork has showed up after I’ve secure financing and insurance, just as I am about to pass them a check and fork out for a big warranty as well as a dealer fee. I was really committed. Part of me wants the car very much, but my rational brain is telling me that I’m going to be the last guy holding the turd in and a very long game of ‘pass the turd.’ At this point I’d be out about $400 for the inspection, bank fee and gas to the dealership before I count time and effort.

My feeling is that even if this wasn’t a reported accident, the value of the car has been compromised. Dealer is arguing that the paint job while not as good as factory is the best he’s seen and does not want to cut price.

This will be the second deal in my car buying history where I’ve killed due to finding unexpected paint work. The last one was killed when the dealer, in compliance with New Jersey law, attempted to make me sign a release and disclosure since the car had paintwork at the 11th hour. I am hoping to hold on to the car for a while, but my wife and I may want to switch to a Suv in a few years if we have another kid so resale value does have some importance.

I’ve asked the dealer to waive the documentation fee and pay for the $5k extended warranty, but they’ve refused. I’m paying around $38k plus tax for the car.

Here are my questions:

-should I stay, walk or run screaming from this purchase?

-what are the problems down the road that I can expect with even the best paintwork on a car like this? Am I going to have a car that appears to have one shade of black on the sides and another shade on the top and back?

-why would someone paint both sides and the front of the car? I can’t possibly imagine this car being slammed into a barrier by a semi and not showing some signs of new parts. Paint appears to be done a long time ago too, so I’m not sure why they would have to do it.

-dealer is telling me there is no way to replace parts on an Audi without Audi knowing the vin and making a record of it. Is this true?

-has the value been compromised? If so, how much. 10%? 30%?

I’m probably going to walk, but I’d love to hear any of your thoughts. Big thank you in advance.

-Noteasybeinggreen

mlfox 02-13-2018 06:02 PM

Run from this vehicle. If this deal is consummated, every time you walk past this car, you will see the paint defects. Buyer's remorse has far more cost than the PPI and bank fees you're already incurred.

Regards,
mlfox