ACNA Thill weekend... perfect weather (clear skies, +70 deg., not windy), great event!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default since when has mark ever had reliable info :)

i actually picked up about a second and i'm sure there's more in it.
my best time before the bling was 1:56.6 with the bypass.
my last time out i did a 1:57.2 over the top and was .4 to the good before i hit traffic on another lap. general consensus is +1.5 seconds over vs. bypass so that puts me at about a mid 1:55.

not terrible for a 3200 lbs car with 370whp.

once i get some weight out of it and throw in the new turbo that's coming it will be pretty interesting.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Under the matte black vinyl, its a nice pink color and really very civil.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:18 PM

i have video of that car driving straight off 3 as well
Old 01-13-2009, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Yeah..its pretty boring until you get the bigger turbo in there...

Sheesh.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:11 PM

Default Video of GT-R pass in the dirt

First, thanks to all the Audi folks for putting on a great event and letting some non-Audi guys join in the fun.

I had a dicey situation in the last "D" session on Saturday where I had to go two wheels off to drive around someone. I real life, things were moving much faster than the video conveys. Feel free to judge my actions, but once I started to pass the first car, I had limited choices.

Just glad it all worked out OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ3BRRRbM2M

Sorry camera is tilted a bit.

Also, the transmission issue I had on Sunday appears to be non-mechanical (no crunched gears or fried clutch), but no final word on exactly what happened. I should have bought German.

Thanks again guys, and see you the next event.<ul><li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ3BRRRbM2M">GT-R Thunderhill incident</a></li></ul>
Old 01-13-2009, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I remember that - I was the TT you passed earlier on the in the Video......

I simply just got out of your way :-)

That 4000 should NOT have been on the track in the D group and I can't believe that an instructor signed him off to solo during the event. He couldn't drive a line if he was attached to it....
Old 01-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default You really have to trust others drivers when your on track and being predictable>>

is a huge part of that equation. The red 4000 all weekend was case in point.. simply not at the level we are used to in group D. I know ACGG struggled that weekend and in all did a good job BUT always heads up driving and track awareness pays dividends. Good car control Chris nice place to go a bit wide... I bet the 4000 was ****ting bricks! Did he come up in speak with you afterwords? if not he should have-
Old 01-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I agree Joe there were a few moving chicanes on track including the 4000>>>

but by the end of the second session we knew who they were.

For us going from open passing on Friday with TEAM and going thru turns with someone next to us we had a bit of adjusting to do :-) There is so much more then just learning to drive a line.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:51 PM

Default that's a bit of a tricky one...

from the comments it sounds like the driver of the 4000 may not have been as aware of his surroundings as most of the other drivers.

watching the video it looked like a couple of things combined to cause that close call. first the closings speeds are pretty serious and then fact that you happened to be lined up behind the first car at the exit of the esses just about when the driver of the 4000 would have been checking his mirrors to see if it's clear (hopefully). to me it seemed like the right call to run wide instead of trying to get the thing slowed down once you were in the middle of it.

one thing to think about is the fact that a few people here already knew this guy was a bit over his head and took note. you have to keep this stuff in mind when you're out there. the flip side is maybe you were by people so quickly that you weren't near them long enough to see any patterns haha.

there's guys in our group that i would feel comfortable running a foot off their bumper because i know they'll do the right/predictable thing every time but i sure wouldn't do that with just anyone. you really try to get to know who you're out there with.

ps. the car looks nice in the video. you feel like driving an evo for a few laps next event?
Old 01-13-2009, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default we might be too harsh on the red 4k....

It was a combined C&amp;D run group afterall. And he may have just been graded up into C-grp from B-grp recently... and already having his (her?) plate full just trying to work on own smoothness &amp; line w/o the addition of faster (and much faster D-grp) traffic to worry about.

I <i>personally</i> would not take any multi-cars-at-once pass on the track. You never know if that 2nd or 3rd car ahead's pass signal is for you? or the car ahead of you?

Chris, you may have the skills &amp; your car DEFINITELY has the performance to 'get it done' in a minimal amount of overlap time. But let's put ourselves in the perspectives of the 3 cars being passed...

The GTR came out of T11 @ 1:34 and starts to accelerate very quickly up on the 3 cars... Those 3 cars were already pretty far down the back straight. GTR passed the 1st car (black B5?) @ 1:42, that's ONLY 8 seconds of elapsed time! [Holy accelerations batman!] The black B5 did NOT have GTR within sight in the mirrors before then. (just look at the earlier part of the vid) So I would venture to guess that the black B5 saw the GTR coming up FAST in the mirror JUST in the nick of time, and gave the GTR the pass signal... Good on him for scanning his mirrors and saw it in time!

Now lets consider the perspectives of the 2 traffic further ahead...
Unfortunately, I don't think they ever had a chance to know that a very fast mover is coming up on them with a very significant closure speed. And from the resulting action of the red 4k, they were busy working out their own passing communications between themselves. And based on the pace of the red 4k thru out the wkend, it's very understandable (and as it should be) that it was the focus of his attention. Thus given the information that he had (or more importantly, did NOT have), he behaved in a very predictable manner:

<i>He was given a pass signal, and he was taking it. He did NOT give out a pass signal himself, thus he should not have to worry about traffic behind him, and had the right of way to come left for the pass.</i> (tho it's always prudent to scan the mirrors often, and he may have done so as well... but the GTR was not in view then)

Of course this whole thing could have ended much much worse than it did! Credit to you Chris, for eyes up and adjusting your line to avoid the collision. But in the future I would highly suggest not taking ANY multi-car 'leap frogging' pass. Take them 1 at a time and keep the speed difference down (speed: unless there's NO other traffic around). It's painful, I know, given the big difference in the lap pace. And mentally play out any passing scenario before making a move on it... ESPECIALLY when there are multiple traffic around.

cheers!

Quick Reply: ACNA Thill weekend... perfect weather (clear skies, +70 deg., not windy), great event!