Concorso pics - BWW!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Concorso pics - BWW!

Concorso is a show by the people, for the people. Basically a big owners show. This is quite in contrast to the Pebble Beach Concourso (note spelling difference), which is spectacle of people and cars, with everything turned up to 11 (for you fans of the movie 'Spinal Tap'). Concorso is far more laid back, less crowded, and friendly.

We took pics throughout the day, so I am going to group them alphabetically by type, rather than time.

Please pardon my obsession with older cars. We can visit a showroom any time to see the newer stuff. The old cars have to survive careless owners, indifferent mechanics, and all the hazards of the roads as well as time.

First are the Alfas, nearest and dearest to my heart.

These chaps decided to wear silly Viking horned hats - not sure why.

Classic and legendary Alfa 6C visiting from South Africa.

This was fairly early in the era when they were the equivalent of Ferrari and Lambo combined.

Sprint Speciale arriving

Montreal with mean sounding 2.5 V8 derived from Alfa Tipo 33 racers

One of a couple of Alfa 8Cs

Alfas of all kinds

The original Alfa B. A. T. cars. All early aerodynamic studies to reduce drag.

A modern interpretation.

This Alfa uses the driveline from a 1960's 2600, but with bodywork completed in 2007.

The Cadillac Allante used a body built by Pininfarina in Italy, then shipped here on specially converted Boeing 747 jets.

Sadly Mary Kay offered them as prizes for their top salespeople.

The highlight of the show was Valentino Balboni. So very gracious, diplomatic, and patient. The only time I saw Jay Leno being relegated to second class status at a car event!

Need used Ferrari or Maserati parts?

Not sure why this Citroen 2CV was at the show - the DS21 next to it was designed by an Italian, and the SM has a Maserati motor.

SM - the headlights turn with the steering wheel - not the first or last car to feature this.

Since many of has gotten up before the sun, we were a bit groggy as the day wore on. The coffee tuk-tuk was very welcome.

Flash back to the future.

Scads and scads of Ferraris.

Lovely Dino glistening in the morning light.

The view out the window of a 330 - this car was the original debut show car for the model.

How many stories could this 250 GT Lusso tell? Many I'll bet.

So many Ferraris they parked them in two spots on the course.

Bull and horses

Elegant 2+2 250 GT/E

A well used 330, displaying "patina".

Another GT/E

Another Lusso

Another - note that they appear to share a bit of the style of the Lamborghini 400GT

Dino gets a going-over

Incredible and legendary race-winning 250 GTO. Depending on history, worth around $20mil

Noses edging forward like thoroughbreds waiting to start a race.

The largest gathering of 288 GTOs ever. Designed to race in Group B (nicknamed the 'Killer B's"), the series was abandoned without the cars ever turning a wheel in anger. In some ways the prototype for the F40.

The Evoluzione version. Even closer mechanically to the F40, it was more powerful and used better aerodynamics.

There I am, cleaning the sled.

At the end of the day when the course cleared out.

This 360 Challenge Stradale is painted a Maserati colour (by special request at the factory) and is the only one to have this colour.

The line into the show.

Workaday Fiat sedans

Rare Fiat Barchetta

A slice of Italian heaven

Both Fisker and Tesla were there. The Tesla White Star sedan was in a small booth, so hard to photograph. Not nearly as striking as the Fiskers though.

I just love that hood bump on the early series Iso Grifo. The Corvette (original) engine under the hood means unfussy operation.

While there weren't as many Lambos as Ferraris, there were a good variety of old and new.

Ferruccio Lamborghini was an industrialist, who among other things, built tractors.

The mighty V12 that was to go on and power so many Lambos was the work of the very talented Giotto Bizzarrini. He left a mark on many Italian car brands and for a time was the head Ferrari engineer. When he first designed the Lambo V12, he was paid a flat fee, plus a bonus for every horsepower over the Ferrari V12. He made a motor that produced well in excess of the Ferrari V12, but at 9800 rpms - hardly what Lamborghini wanted as he envisioned his cars as being GT and grand tourers. So Bizzarrini did some major re-working to create an engine that gave torque a greater emphasis than horsepower.

LM002 and Reventon - both heights of automotive excess separated by many years, but sharing the same basic engine.

Versace Murci

Diablo SV - a 2wd Diablo with the other improvements found in the awd VT

Rosso Vik - a colour that doesn't look so great on the old Gallardo, but has much better luck on the new 560-4

An icon on many a teenage boy's bedroom wall.

Big red fire button shows an owner well versed in the Countach. Note the seatback has no reclining mechanism. The clutch is so stiff that over time a bendy seat might fail.

The classic and lovely 400GT. Originally intended to have pop-up headlamps, but fitted with fixed lights to save costs and improve reliability. Overall mission and styling in the vein of the Ferrari 250 GT Lusso that gave Ferruccio such trouble that he decided to build his own GT cars.

There are some variants that include the earlier 2 seater 350 GT, some aluminum bodied cars, etc. It's nice to see older Lambos get respect. This bodes well for the health of the marque.

The lovely and frequently under-appreciated Urraco. It's starting to gain respectability (as are the big 4 seat Espadas). However, the V8 in the Urraco was not Lamborghini's best work. I would love to own an Islero some day.

A special bodied car with unusual bumpers and other details - anybody have more info?

Lots of newer cars as well.

The lovely if flawed DeTomaso Magusta (mongoose). Packing an American V8, it used a backbone chassis that had too much flex, which made handling distinctly sketchy on the limits.

Maserati has really turned themselves around, and cars like this Coupe are the reason.

The much maligned Biturbos. Early cars were atrociously unreliable, and by the time the well sorted cars arrived, the damage to the reputation had been done. As resale plummeted, they were not maintained, which helped to further what might be a partially undeserved reputation for unreliability.

Handsome 228 coupe

Maseratis of yore were the choice of racers, blue bloods, kings and movie stars. They could be campaigned alongside Ferraris at the racetrack, or you could order your car with luxurious coachwork for cruising the Côte d'Azur. Always in the shadow of Ferrari, they are finally gaining more recognition as special cars.

The DeTomaso Pantera has always been the choice for guys who like hot rods, but want some Italian style to their knuckle dragging proclivities.

I see a lot of Lamborghini Jalpa styling influence.

A number of lovely Porsches took a break from the festivities being celebrated nearby at Laguna Seca (Porsche was the featured marque). Opel GT in the background.

3 seater Predator. A head scratcher.

Not exactly sure why this rod was at the show, but it had the most incredible machined billet front suspension.

Kid taking a break.

Coachbuilder Ghia built this wild turbine concept car in 1955 for Chrysler. Although not originally equipped with a turbine engine, it was added during restoration some time after 2001. Chrysler later built a series of slightly more mundane looking Ghia turbine powered cars and even lent them to public for testing.

Overall the show was quite good, with a fairly good organization and food. The setting was great, and I hope we didn't tear up the grass too badly for them to not renew the contract next year.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:25 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Awesome pics April!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2009, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great pics, thanks.
The car you asked about is a Lamborghini Islero. I previously owned a very nice S model, which was Ferrucio Lamborghini's favorite daily driver. 4cam 12cyl and very fun to drive.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Thanks! I was kicking myself for not chatting up the owner.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Very nice!

Billet front suspension looks nuts. Got more pics of it?
Old 08-21-2009, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great pics and some amazing cars!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You weren't kidding about the BWW Thanks for sharing
Old 08-31-2009, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks April - nice pictures and commentary

As I was scrolling down the pics I was going to give you a hard time about there not being any lusso there but half way through there they were.

You are one knowledgeable person
Old 09-07-2009, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

As I mentioned, I love the older cars. No two are alike.