So I just spent 50 min composing my drag race epic saga and Opera *lost* it. Cliff's Notes . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats Sir Jeff !
Old 03-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Rest In Peace

Default Well it was "bracket racing" so it was a guy in and Acura RSX running 14.95's all night long . . .

he dialed a 14.95 bracket and ran a 14.98, he was pretty good/consistent.

I dialed a 12.75 and had my best run of the night a 12.55, I went faster than my dial in so I "lost". But whatever, I was just trying to run the quickest I could and I got a trophy . . . it was fun.

The later it gets the shorter the wait between runs becomes as people get eliminated. My last 3 runs happened in about 1 hour.<ul><li><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.T._bracket_race">Bracket Racing Wiki</a></li></ul>
Old 03-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Rest In Peace

They're sitting on the chair on the front porch . . .
Old 03-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Rest In Peace

Default Don't tell David Dailey but it's his car, my new Santorin Stg3 cream puff . . .

Last time it was about 90 degrees and I was trying to be the big drag racer guy and lowered the tire pressures to "hook up". The track was tacky and I had way too much grip, wheel hop, bad sounds.

This time it was colder, less grip and I didn't want to stress the car that badly so I raised the pressures to 40 psi which worked out pretty well.

I was basically putting the tach straight up and basically letting out the clutch and the gas at the same time and then getting back in the gas until 2nd gear. Little bit of wheelspin, minimal drama/stress.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Congratulations Jeff! Sorry I left w/o checking back (confusion, hunger, depression over losing)

Jeff - congratulations and great to meet you! And the beautiful S4. Congrats to both of you.

Sorry I left without checking back.

Turns out I did lose that first round. I got a lesson in time slip reading from a very nice guy who I ran against in the first practice round who is a hard core drag racer. It's not intuitive. In fact, the guy who beat me in the first round then came up to me and he thought I had won. I had to explain it to him!

At that point, head was spinning, I was hungry and I had already called the wife to say I was coming home. I hit the road and then it hit me I hadn't let you know I was out. Brain fade.

Here's the explanation on the timeslip...

The math is driven by Reaction Time + Difference Between Dial In and Elapsed Time. Whoever has the lower total wins (without red lighting or breaking out vs. dial-in).

For example - I dialed a 15.1, had a R/T of 0.781 (driver! wake up!), an E/T of 15.441 (90.44 MPH). My total is therefore 1.122.

My opponent (in an Acura Integra) dialed a 15.7, had a R/T of 0.098, an E/T of 16.208 (91.70 MPH). I was closer on my dial-in but his total is 0.606. His MOV (margin of victory) is 0.516.

(This is so non-intutive that someone at work who has a drag only El Camino didn't fully understand it.)

So billybobster FTL! But I had a great time.

To anyone reading this who's into track days, I know dial-in racing sounds odd, but I liked it and want to go back and do it better. You do some practice rounds to get an idea of what you're going to do on E/T. And also try to get the reaction time down too.

I want to get the E/T down a bit too. Realized after my second run I had the traction control on and didn't want to change it before I had to dial in. Next time.

Only got two practice runs in because a Honda spread oil and parts over the entire 1/4 mile. Took a hour to clean up, they used a flame spitting track Zamboni (cool!).

Met some nice people, saw cars of all descriptions, I'm definitely going to go again. But track days are still my #1.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Launch stress is up to driver - bracket racing is about reaction time and consistency (apparently)
Old 03-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Rest In Peace

Default ahh . . . now I get it . . . never as simple as it sounds . . . good meeting you as well.

Thanks for playing . . .
Old 03-20-2008, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neat ! Now when is the lift queen gonna become the drag queen ?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:04 AM
ATH
Elder Member

Hey were you parked outside Stacks yesterday?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Wow, you did that to the creampuff? Might join you sometime... :-)

Sounds not to hard on the drivetrain and clutch. Should be ok on RS4/ECS LWFW?

When're you going next?

Any special equipment needed, like helmets, clothing, harness, shoes?

Does Infineon have 104 RUL?

Thanks,

Chris

Quick Reply: So I just spent 50 min composing my drag race epic saga and Opera *lost* it. Cliff's Notes . . .