Steve, what's the latest on a group bumper repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 10:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, what's the latest on a group bumper repaint?
Old 09-24-2004, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Location...location...location...

Can we use your garage for painting your car and mine? We need to find a location to do the painting..he can't just do it on the street. I was thinking of finding 2 different places to do the work...you and me at your house (if that is acceptable - remember I don't have a working garage)..and maybe 2-3 guys at S4Del's house in Redwood City (and use his garage..he offered).

Let me know if you would entertain this proposal?

BTW, I found out this guy does work for Rector Motors on a semi regular basis. (bumper repaints on lease returns, trade ins..etc)
Old 09-24-2004, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Im interested - Where/how would you get the color-matching done ? and the source of the paint ?

I was thinking of doing it in my garage - but wouldn't do more than one bumper (paint overyspray does tend to collect ;-)
Old 09-24-2004, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Outside source..previously used

See email I sent out...

I have arranged with a mobile painting vendor to repaint bumpers on our Audis at the price of $150 each. This is your opportunity to get that nasty bumper repainted and be rid of those nasty rock chips and parking marks. Please email me at s4wood@yahoo.com if you are interested in participating in this opportunity. Just for your information this guy is not just someone out of the phone book, I used him before when I worked for Autos Wholesale in Fremont when I was a used car auto broker. He does very decent work. Is it perfect? No, but look at your current bumper..how does it look now? Mine looks real bad.. I, for one, am going to use this guy on my car, if that means anything to your decision. One problem though...I need a place for him to work..we need to do the work all at one or two locations, if possible. Does anyone have a decent sized garage, in the lower peninsula or san jose area, that we can use for this work?

Let me know...

Thanks
>
Steve Sherwood
NorCal Audi Club / Performance Auto Brokers
>
Old 09-24-2004, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Is this bumper zone? I paid Rector $300 for rear A8 bumper they had

done by Bumper Zone. Claimed their cost was $250. What would he charge an owner for A8 rear bumper? $150 sounds like a deal.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Not big enough....?

My garage is really not big enough to do this. Even with some serious cleaning up, there is really not enough room. I really do want to do this though.... how much room does he need?
Old 09-26-2004, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have a decent sized garage, and it's empty.

My fiancée and I just bought a house in Milpitas. How many people were interested in this group bumper repaint? Approximately how long does it take for one car/bumper? Her only concern is to not have anything hazardous going down the drain.

I'm gonna need help with the cleanup. I don't plan on repainting my bumper but if it's no bother...could someone vag my car and Steve, could you hook me up with your tire mounting discount of ~$50?

Let me know.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Some answers...

Talking to the guy...he said he could do about 5 maybe 6 bumpers in a day...so I am thinking about 1.25 to 1.5 hours each...Sounds like your garage would work perfectly. I don't think overspray is a major issue..he just doesn't want the neighbors complaining if he is doing work in someones driveway. You want to be the poster boy (garage volunteer) for the South Bay participants. I am in San Jose (rear bumper..maybe side skirts), one guy with a front and rear bumper is in Sunnyvale (WhiteRabbit). We will then keep looking for a mid-peninsula location for the others.

After the job is completed...it is recommended that you don't drive the car for about 2 hours. So, we would sorta need to hang out at your house..or...drop off the cars and come back later.

I will email you directly.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2004, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I don't think this is the same guy as Bumper Zone

He goes by Magic Touch Painting...It is my understanding that you too would only pay $150 for your A8 bumper.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Have you got a phone number? Have you seen/been satisfied

with his work? Bumper Zone came back to Rector to redo some drips. It looked very nice when done.

Quick Reply: Steve, what's the latest on a group bumper repaint?