X:Post: S4 wheel/ignition (key) cylinder hard locked

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X:Post: S4 wheel/ignition (key) cylinder hard locked

Yes...sometimes it would stick, until you turn the wheel or give it a little pressure while turning the key.

But, may need local love on this. The car is (was?) stuck at Bridgepointe (hell, take it if you want it) on full lock. So, how would I get a flatbed to remove it? (thinks... front wheel dollies may be the best route...)

Anyone share an ETKA or other image of the lock cylinder / 'switch' mechanism? Wondering if I could do this fix...? Doubt it...

Suggestions/BTDT/San Mateo help offer?

Derek<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2801982.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2801982.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 04-25-2008, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Back at the C4 anyway they were junk

The failure point was the electrical switch behind the key, not the key cylinder itself. Sold as a separate part--even blau or ecs carried them on web.

To replace it, typically you need to take the airbag and wheel off, get off the lower drivers dash panel, then the steering surround trim, then you are there and can get at the switch. A couple of hours and you probably need a Bentley manual. Do NOT turn on the ignition at all until you have it reassembled (better: disconnect the battery) or you will trip an airbag light until you have it in place. If that happens, you then need a VAG COM too to reset it.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ooops. Looks like your lock cylinder is busted. Unfortunately, that may mean drilling out the tab

They usually come out in the on position when the tab can be pushed in to release the cylinder. This is how most cars are made too.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default update: Tumbler suspect

I have had issues with the valet and occassionally with the spare key not being "smooth."

Burl Indep ordering part from der vaterland...1-2 weeks.

We'll try this...

But, I think there may be another factor with switch as well.

Thanks for below comments. Already pulled the top cowl and realized I'd need to pull wheel to get at cylinder.

Car now iffy, but will start. If lucky...

DD
Old 04-25-2008, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

will they be able to match your key profile? It would suck to carry two sets of keys (door and ign)
Old 04-25-2008, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Answer was "yes"...if I bought local, then no...wait for german part

stock issue.

thx btw

Derek