PA Driver w/ Speeding Ticket in NJ

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PA Driver w/ Speeding Ticket in NJ

Anyone have experience with a speeding ticket IN NJ as a PA driver??

Got caught going 89 in a 55 (not cool) and am concerned about points flowing through to my PA license. I am pretty sure there is reciprocity, and PA is going to find out about my points.

If I were to get a ticket in PA doing the same (34 MPH) speed over the limit, it's fast enough to trigger some sort of board review, potential license suspension, etc. Again, not cool. I am wondering even if there is point reciprocity between the states whether excessive speed in NJ has the same impact as if I were in PA.

Any guidance would be appreciated.....
Old 05-30-2013, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by B8S410
Anyone have experience with a speeding ticket IN NJ as a PA driver??

Got caught going 89 in a 55 (not cool) and am concerned about points flowing through to my PA license. I am pretty sure there is reciprocity, and PA is going to find out about my points.

If I were to get a ticket in PA doing the same (34 MPH) speed over the limit, it's fast enough to trigger some sort of board review, potential license suspension, etc. Again, not cool. I am wondering even if there is point reciprocity between the states whether excessive speed in NJ has the same impact as if I were in PA.

Any guidance would be appreciated.....
You are in luck, I believe. PA only acts upon serious offenses such as vehicular manslaughter or DUI, not less than serious such as speeding.

What violations committed in a member state will result in the suspension of my driving privilege in PA?
The following offenses, if committed in a member state, would be treated as though the offense had occurred in Pennsylvania and the appropriate sanction would be imposed under the provisions of our Vehicle Code:
• Manslaughter or negligent homicide resulting from the operation of a motor vehicle (Section 3732);
• Driving a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcoholic beverages or a narcotic to a degree which renders the driver incapable of safely driving a motor vehicle (Section 3731; repealed 2/1/2004) Section 3802 (effective 2/1/2004)
• Failure to stop and render aid in the event of a motor vehicle accident resulting in the death or personal injury of another (Section 3742);
• Any felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle is used (Crimes Code and Dangerous Drug Act Offenses).
Although reported to PennDOT, minor traffic offenses such as speeding, red light, stop sign, etc., will (NOT) appear on your driving record, unless you are a CDL holder. Points will not be assessed to your PA driving record when convicted of a point related offense in a DLC member state.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ets/fs-dlc.pdf
Old 05-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by weth
You are in luck, I believe. PA only acts upon serious offenses such as vehicular manslaughter or DUI, not less than serious such as speeding.

What violations committed in a member state will result in the suspension of my driving privilege in PA?
The following offenses, if committed in a member state, would be treated as though the offense had occurred in Pennsylvania and the appropriate sanction would be imposed under the provisions of our Vehicle Code:
• Manslaughter or negligent homicide resulting from the operation of a motor vehicle (Section 3732);
• Driving a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcoholic beverages or a narcotic to a degree which renders the driver incapable of safely driving a motor vehicle (Section 3731; repealed 2/1/2004) Section 3802 (effective 2/1/2004)
• Failure to stop and render aid in the event of a motor vehicle accident resulting in the death or personal injury of another (Section 3742);
• Any felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle is used (Crimes Code and Dangerous Drug Act Offenses).
Although reported to PennDOT, minor traffic offenses such as speeding, red light, stop sign, etc., will (NOT) appear on your driving record, unless you are a CDL holder. Points will not be assessed to your PA driving record when convicted of a point related offense in a DLC member state.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ets/fs-dlc.pdf
Dude.. thank you so much. I guess I made the mistake of calling my insurance broker first-- it appears she gave me misinformation that points flow through back to my PA license. Looks like PA is made aware, but that's the extent of the reciprocity.

The research is MUCH appreciated. Seems pretty clear to me-- hope i'm not missing anything?!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:10 AM
RFS
AudiWorld Member

Default 85 mph

Originally Posted by B8S410
Dude.. thank you so much. I guess I made the mistake of calling my insurance broker first-- it appears she gave me misinformation that points flow through back to my PA license. Looks like PA is made aware, but that's the extent of the reciprocity.

The research is MUCH appreciated. Seems pretty clear to me-- hope i'm not missing anything?!
If you ever drive your S6 cross-country be sure to drive I-10 between El Paso and San Antonio. The speed limit has been 80 mph for years, and a stretch is going to (or possibly already does) allow 85 mph.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RFS
If you ever drive your S6 cross-country be sure to drive I-10 between El Paso and San Antonio. The speed limit has been 80 mph for years, and a stretch is going to (or possibly already does) allow 85 mph.
Or go to Montana where there is no speed limit, as long as conditions are safe.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Or go to Montana where there is no speed limit, as long as conditions are safe.
Montana enacted a 75 MPH speed limit in 1999 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_l...States#Montana).

But, it was fun before this change to pass a Montana State Trooper while doing 90mph and he just smiled and waved :-)