Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Community Discussion > Off-topic Discussion
Reload this Page >

AWOT Diamond BT: what is an enhanced diamond? is it the same as a lab created diamond? good or bad?

AWOT Diamond BT: what is an enhanced diamond? is it the same as a lab created diamond? good or bad?

Old 05-13-2004, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Old 05-13-2004, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I believe it is a diamond that has its imperfections filled with liquid glass.

Don't buy one if you ever plan to set it. When the mounting is heated to expand to hold the diamond, the glass will boil and the center of the diamond will explode. Yes Seriously.

This action isnt done in higher quality stones, VS1 and above. Its typically reserved to make an SI3 Stone a SI1 etc...
Old 05-13-2004, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default *enhanced* -- sounds like a homegrown stone. An untrained naked eye can't tell the difference...

between synthetic/enhanced versus natural stone
Old 05-13-2004, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default They fill any flaws they can to enhance the clarity - it's still a 'real' diamond

but I'd pass and buy an unenhanced stone.

Most lab created diamonds are colored.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Follow up: In fact I think we have had a long discussions about Diamonds before, you and I, if I

rememeber correctly, so you know my stance on Natual vs. Synthetic, Lab Created and Alterted Diamonds =)
Old 05-13-2004, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Correct.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

is it still real if it was *filled*? or 80% real 20% synthetic?
Old 05-13-2004, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I spent a few year apprenticed to a jeweler

honestly lab created diamonds will probably be clear in a few years and I can't see how that won't obliterate or at least damage the real diamond market.

If I was buying a stone these days I'd consider an emerald even though it's not 'traditional' they're more rare and more likely to hold some value.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default FU: GIA has a seperate catagory for grading "filled" stones, and will still do it, but..

Any reputable larger jewler will not set a filled stone, do to the risk involved...

My Jewler, Baily Banks & Biddle will not set a Diamond of yours unless you have a GIA cert that goes with the stone that will insure not just measurements but also characteristics of the stone.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I'm sure the actual % of synthetic is very low but

I don't know the # and I'm sure it varies with every stone.

It's only used to fill surface occlusions (holes) so it can't be done on every diamond with crappy clarity.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AWOT Diamond BT: what is an enhanced diamond? is it the same as a lab created diamond? good or bad?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: