Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Community Discussion > Off-topic Discussion
Reload this Page >

dOES ANYONE ELSE THINK THE "SPONSORED CONTENT" MIXED INTO THE MESSAGES IS JUST WRONG?

dOES ANYONE ELSE THINK THE "SPONSORED CONTENT" MIXED INTO THE MESSAGES IS JUST WRONG?

Old 04-18-2019, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default dOES ANYONE ELSE THINK THE "SPONSORED CONTENT" MIXED INTO THE MESSAGES IS JUST WRONG?

Seems to me that whether MAzda can drive in the snow, or Mom posts her picture in her girls college dorm room, or whether the set of Cheers was dark...
All those "sponsored content" messages that appear as the top new message, are just polluting the message boards.

They aren't messages, they're just ads, and ads often for crapware sites to boot. IMO they're exactly as useful as finding old empty Doritos bags and McBurger wrappers on floor and seats and dasboard of a service loaner: demeaning at best.

I know, sponsors keep the lights on. But maybe if enough users let the forum admins know that this is JUNK that detracts from an otherwise professional forum, they'll rethink it.

How 'bout it, folks? You like seeing garbage on the message boards? Topping the new messages?
Old 04-21-2019, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I dont see sponsored content. Probably because I use adblock and privacy badger. Most ads are intrusive and tracking cookies are creepy. It's amazing to me in this day and age so many people don't use an ad blocker. I white list a very small amount of sites that show non intrusive ads to help support them.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by billm0066 View Post
I dont see sponsored content. Probably because I use adblock and privacy badger. Most ads are intrusive and tracking cookies are creepy. It's amazing to me in this day and age so many people don't use an ad blocker. I white list a very small amount of sites that show non intrusive ads to help support them.
Plus 1
Old 04-21-2019, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

These are listed as the very first post in the "New Posts", not as separate ads that normally would be blocked.
By showing them as new threads, which are also flagged as sponsored content, they've apparently joined forum management with a system that defeats ad blockers--since they are not appearing as ads, but merely as new posts.

If you open this forum section (Q5 Mk1) and click on "New Posts" you should see one as the very first, the very top, new post.

Very much like the newspaper ads that are made up to look like part of the newspaper but have tiny "Sponsored Content" borders printed around them.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I don’t see the types of new posts that you are describing.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

They're apparently not in all thread views. Go to:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...iscussion-129/
which is simply the Q5 Mk1 subforum, and you'll see the first new post is shown as a "SPONSORED..."

If I go to the forum head menu, selecting NEW POSTS from there, I get forum-wide instead of just this section--and there's nothing of the type shown there.
I'll be curious to see if you go to the same URL that I use, if you see them or not.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Redd View Post
They're apparently not in all thread views. Go to:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...iscussion-129/
which is simply the Q5 Mk1 subforum, and you'll see the first new post is shown as a "SPONSORED..."

If I go to the forum head menu, selecting NEW POSTS from there, I get forum-wide instead of just this section--and there's nothing of the type shown there.
I'll be curious to see if you go to the same URL that I use, if you see them or not.
I followed the link and donít see any sponsored posts
Old 04-22-2019, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Let's see if I can embed a screenshot.

I've also been seeing ads for clickboat, the kind that Outbrain and some other sites are famous for, in the past couple of weeks, that never were here before.
Mazda seems to be a persistent sponsor for the ones shown as threads, rather than ads.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I don’t get that message. It must be your ad blocker failing to block it.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

"It must be your ad blocker failing to block it."
You're convincing me that you are an adbot making automated replies, because most folks would have noticed:

1-I DON'T RUN ANY AD BLOCKER
2-THE SPONSORED THREADS ARE APPEARING AS NEW THREAD POSTS, NOT ADS.

If they are ads, the forum has found a clever new way to insert them--as hyperlinks in the threads. Or perhaps the advertisers are gaming the forum.

But thanks anyway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dOES ANYONE ELSE THINK THE "SPONSORED CONTENT" MIXED INTO THE MESSAGES IS JUST WRONG?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: