Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Community Discussion > Off-topic Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tricking Tesla into steering into opposing traffic

Tricking Tesla into steering into opposing traffic

Old 04-02-2019, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Tricking Tesla into steering into opposing traffic

Autonomous Driving . . . No Thank You. This is a short excerpt from the article (link after the excerpt):

“Researchers from Tencent Keen Security Lab have published a report detailing their successful attacks on Tesla firmware, including remote control over the steering, and an adversarial example attack on the autopilot that confuses the car into driving into the oncoming traffic lane.

The researchers used an attack chain that they disclosed to Tesla, and which Tesla now claims has been eliminated with recent patches.”

Small stickers on the ground trick Tesla autopilot into steering into opposing traffic lane

Granted, this is just one case but as more autonomous cars come onto the highways, who knows?

As I have posted many, many times — I am Old School! I want to pilot the 4,000 lb. missile I’m in not have a chip do the driving.

YMMV

— John
Old 04-02-2019, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Given the erratic way DAP behaves during heavy traffic, I am still far more relaxed driving myself during such conditions. Audi certainly needs several more generations to even be close to the "full self-driving" that Tesla has been promising.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Tesla has killed at least one person. No thanks
Old 04-02-2019, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1 View Post
I want to pilot the 4,000 lb. missile I’m in not have a chip do the driving.
Me too. But the US has around 40,000 traffic deaths per year, and given how poorly people drive I'm sure the number could be cut drastically with autonomous cars.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Tesla's Autopilot is only a level 2 system. It's far from self-driving, despite the hype surrounding the topic. We are farther away from fully self-driving than these companies want to admit. A level 2 system is an assistance system and requires full attention of the driver to intervene at any moment. Audi's, Mercedes' and systems from other manufacturers are equally capable as Tesla's system, they just don't claim it to be self-driving or try to make everybody believe that self-driving is just around the corner and charge current customers $5000 for full self-driving capabilities that may come sometime in the future. Audi so far has been limiting their systems to traffic jam situations and they are the first to market with a level 3 system in the new A6,7,8, but due to lack of legislation won't be available in many countries for quite a while. There are some that argue we should have skipped level 2 altogether as it is misleading the public into thinking the cars are more capable at driving themselves than they really are. I do personally like these assistance systems and I'm looking forward to the one in my upcoming C63S which like Tesla's Autopilot works at regular highway speeds and not just in traffic jams. Even ACC has made mundane driving less fatiguing and more enjoyable, so I'm all for these assistance systems, but I'm certainly not keen on owning a fully self-driving car. I'm guessing that nobody will actually ever own a self-driving car, instead we will use mobility services that use self-driving cars to move people around. I would love for Uber to have self-driving cars, so I don't have to pretend to be interested in the drivers' life story. I'm already contemplating to give up owning cars altogether as they are becoming more and more an appliance. I have no interest in owning an iPhone on wheels quite frankly and reading about the EU wanting to make Intelligent Speed Assistance systems mandatory starting in 2022 for new cars so a car cannot drive faster than the posted speed limit is rather discouraging about the future as a car enthusiast.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-02-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

The concept of fully autonomous cars need to stay in a fictional book. It will never happen within our lifetime. Computer can never drive as well as a trained human paying attention. I'd rather share the road with a few poor human drivers than 100% mediocre self-driving cars.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by luder888 View Post
Computer can never drive as well as a trained human paying attention.
And therein is the crux of people driving today — IMHO — too many people fail to realize that they are driving 1-to-2 ton missiles as they drive distracted.

I am hoping that the only totally autonomous vehicles in my lifetime rides on 2 or 3 steel rails.

— John

Last edited by Nikon1; 04-02-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss View Post
... and reading about the EU wanting to make Intelligent Speed Assistance systems mandatory starting in 2022 for new cars so a car cannot drive faster than the posted speed limit is rather discouraging about the future as a car enthusiast.
If something like this is mandated in the US, I'll keep my pre-mandate car ... forever.
OTOH, we really enjoy the DAP features in my A4, so much that my wife purchased a similarly equipped Q5. Much less confusing when both cars operate the same!
Old 04-02-2019, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Companies are dumb to waste investment in self driving
Just an excuse for lazy people to bit watch out
Old 04-03-2019, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

As the urban population grows, government will need a way to ease traffic. Slow moving self driving vehicles will be the answers. Sometimes, I wish I can just sit back and read a book during my commute but there are other time when I really enjoy driving on an open road. Self driving cars will work well if all the vehicles on the road are self driving. When we mix human drivers into the equation, the computer program simply cannot respond to every possible way a human will drive. I see the next generation of drivers taking their own car into the city limit and taking a self driving car within the city limit. Driving will become a privilege in the future, there is simply not enough roads in the future to accommodate all the cars, bikes, electric scooter, electric skate boards, Segways and whatever else comes along.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tricking Tesla into steering into opposing traffic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: