Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Community Discussion > Off-topic Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tricking Tesla into steering into opposing traffic

Tricking Tesla into steering into opposing traffic

Old 04-03-2019, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

A coworker just bought a model 3. He has a free test of the autopilot for a couple months. He used it for the first time last night and had some good, some meh.
On the good side, he was on the highway and a car merged into his lane without a signal and would have hit him, but the car saw an opening in the adjacent lane and automatically moved him over. Pretty cool.
On the meh side, a car in front of him moved into an exit lane, but his car slowed anyway instead of continuing on past it.
He is not going to purchase the option when the free trial is over.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by The G Man View Post
Driving will become a privilege in the future, there is simply not enough roads in the future to accommodate all the cars, bikes, electric scooter, electric skate boards, Segways and whatever else comes along.
That's also pretty much how I see it. We'll see self-driving in geo fenced areas such as inner cities etc. where only self-driving is allowed and the infrastructure is built to support it. I believe it is Dubai or some other Arab country/city that has built a trial community as the city of the future. The entire thing has an underground garage that you enter at the edges. You park your car and hop into fully autonomous shuttles that take you to where you need to go, including your residence if you live there. The shuttles actually operate underground as well, so above ground it's only pedestrians.

Driving will become a privilege in the future, there is simply not enough roads in the future to accommodate all the cars, bikes, electric scooter, electric skate boards, Segways and whatever else comes along.
The thing is, driving already is a privilege and has always been. Too many people think that driving is a right, but it has always been a privilege and the authorities who grant the privilege have the power to take it away. These days that happens mostly if the individual demonstrates that they are not fit to operate a vehicle. But as Germany is now demonstrating by enacting bans for certain cars in certain inner cities to improve the air quality, the possibility that driving bans in cities will be enacted eventually isn't far fetched.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah, it can be mandated and then overridden.

Originally Posted by lowjdml View Post
If something like this is mandated in the US, I'll keep my pre-mandate car ... forever.
OTOH, we really enjoy the DAP features in my A4, so much that my wife purchased a similarly equipped Q5. Much less confusing when both cars operate the same!
It's probably going to be illegal to override it but virtually any tune will delete speed limiter.
The real issue is whether the vehicle maximum speed comports with the tire's maximum speed.
Already in Germany if TUV catches your 160mph car with 149mph tires....you're grounded/flatbed to tyre company.

Yes, my M540i will go over 155 with the speed limiter removed via Dinan (and ahem a few more ponies...) and the tires are only rated for the OEM 155mph speed limiter. I haven't had it over 110...and that for very short period. I doubt I'll ever drive it faster than that.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
It's probably going to be illegal to override it but virtually any tune will delete speed limiter..
For sure. The top speed limiter on the other hand is not mandatory. That's just based on a gentlemen's agreement that dates back a while between the German car manufacturers and has pretty much been abandoned regularly. Today, they are all happy to increase it for some green and aftermarket tuners offer to remove it altogether. Nothing illegal about that.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by superswiss View Post
That's also pretty much how I see it. We'll see self-driving in geo fenced areas such as inner cities etc. where only self-driving is allowed and the infrastructure is built to support it. I believe it is Dubai or some other Arab country/city that has built a trial community as the city of the future. The entire thing has an underground garage that you enter at the edges. You park your car and hop into fully autonomous shuttles that take you to where you need to go, including your residence if you live there. The shuttles actually operate underground as well, so above ground it's only pedestrians.
the future city will be all self driving electric cars with grids under the road for wireless charging.

https://chargedevs.com/features/wire...he-smart-city/

so much for elon musk’s tunnels under the city.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

the future city will be all self driving electric cars with grids under the road for wireless charging.

https://chargedevs.com/features/wire...he-smart-city/

so much for elon musk’s tunnels under the city.
Yep, that's just one of the issues. I'm also still waiting on an answer on what these self-driving cars will do about potholes, and snow covered roads that get them stuck and the potholes that hide under the snow covered roads. As long as we have snow plows ripping up roads during the winter, or cheap foundations under the roads that make them crack in cold temperatures I'm not very optimistic about this happening in my lifetime. It's a Utopian idea that completely ignores the infrastructure reality and funds available to rebuild everything for autonomous vehicles. Self-driving feels to me like 3D TV, VR and other techs that come, get hyped and then kinda disappear, because the real world isn't quite ready for it and the consumer doesn't see value after the initial hype. There's definitely benefits in self-driving for those who can't or don't want to operate a car, but I think it will take a long time before it becomes a reality.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-03-2019 at 03:23 PM.