Other (Non-Audi) Autos Discussion Discussion forum for non-Audi vehicles

[Review] BMW X3 M40i

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
Sticker was $69320, I paid before taxes and the like $58320.
This is a good deal. I am also in Texas. Can you please share the name of the dealership ? It will be really appreciated.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

There's no BMW forum for that dowdy looking beast???
Old 04-26-2018, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you. I'll be adding new wheels (Style 699M factory 20") powder coated in a satin bronze in the next few weeks to finish things up. After that I might go for blacked out logos but nothing else. The interior really goes well with their blue. I'm very happy with the car!
Can't wait to see the finished product. I'm sure it's going to look incredible!
Old 04-26-2018, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by petrolhead_85
This is a good deal. I am also in Texas. Can you please share the name of the dealership ? It will be really appreciated.
BMW of Dallas, I do not recommend going here. The sales people are akin to what you find at a used Kia dealer. I only went here because I negotiated s good deal ahead of time. I will not go back there for any reaosn unless their staff changes.

Originally Posted by patmurphey
There's no BMW forum for that dowdy looking beast???
It's on there too

Originally Posted by BrooklynSQ5
Can't wait to see the finished product. I'm sure it's going to look incredible!
I'm looking forward to it! I was going to do a similar set up with my SQ5 before it suffered the fate of my insurance company. Pictures will surely be posted here.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sticker was $69320, I paid before taxes and the like $58320.
That’s a crazy great deal, didn’t think bmw would give that kind of discount yet alone on a new model. I thought I did good with 10% off on my sq5, but 16% is insane, great work. Regards. Ned.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ngerstman

That’s a crazy great deal, didn’t think bmw would give that kind of discount yet alone on a new model. I thought I did good with 10% off on my sq5, but 16% is insane, great work. Regards. Ned.
I must've called at the right time .It was initially $9k off until I remembered USAA has an adsitiaddi $2k for BMW purchases (most of their line up) so they had to stack the discount. I didn't even get close to that with my 7% on the SQ5. Who wouldn't take this for that kind of deal... The car really is great thus far, no real complaints. My Pirelli P Zero A/S tires arrived today. Now, all I'm waiting to get my are the 20" wheels.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngerstman

There might be a reason for the price. BMW predicted it would be the best seller in it’s class but here’s a quote from a recent news feed.

”February 2018 marked the ninth consecutive month in which U.S. sales of the BMW X3 declined on a year-over-year basis. February’s 18-percent drop equaled 739 fewer sales in the second month of 2018 than in the same month one year ago. It was also the tenth month in the last 14 in which BMW failed to sell 4,000+ X3s, something Mercedes-Benz has done with the GLC in each of the last eight months; something Audi has done with the Q5 in each of the last twelve months.”

I’m not going to run down the X3 or X3 M40i but there are several things I personally don’t like. The infotainment system is years behind Audi, IMO, no Android Auto-Car Play and 2 Nvidia Tegra 3 processors in Audi vs ? BMW; BMW has decided to develop their own tech but are now years behind some others; About 15% (17-19.5) smaller gas tank BMW; Run Flats, no air ride BMW; no Dynamic Steering; Generally lower quality interior mentioned in reviews.
CR rated Audi vehicles second in overall Quality behind the relatively new Equus with only 2 tested. Beauty is always in the “eye of the beholder” and many of us will always love the car we just bought. As a first time Audi owner I’m really impressed with ours. I spent more time evaluating (1.5 yrs) and testing SUV’s because we really didn’t care for the Lexus RX 350 that we had intended to buy as a replacement for my wife. The new X3 wasn’t out but we tested the prior Gen. several times. I can’t believe the GLC is selling so well-it has to be the name. BMW is always worthy of serious consideration but 0-60 time is not the most important criteria for me. We all like different things so it’s great to see serious competition and great choices!
Old 04-27-2018, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice write up!

I don't think you can go wrong with either the SQ5 or X3 M40i. I can't wait till the X3M debuts!
Old 04-27-2018, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like somebody dumped his hot girlfriend and now we get a presentation on the how the new one is a wee bit better? =)
Old 04-27-2018, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ron.S

There might be a reason for the price. BMW predicted it would be the best seller in it’s class but here’s a quote from a recent news feed.

”February 2018 marked the ninth consecutive month in which U.S. sales of the BMW X3 declined on a year-over-year basis. February’s 18-percent drop equaled 739 fewer sales in the second month of 2018 than in the same month one year ago. It was also the tenth month in the last 14 in which BMW failed to sell 4,000+ X3s, something Mercedes-Benz has done with the GLC in each of the last eight months; something Audi has done with the Q5 in each of the last twelve months.”

I’m not going to run down the X3 or X3 M40i but there are several things I personally don’t like. The infotainment system is years behind Audi, IMO, no Android Auto-Car Play and 2 Nvidia Tegra 3 processors in Audi vs ? BMW; BMW has decided to develop their own tech but are now years behind some others; About 15% (17-19.5) smaller gas tank BMW; Run Flats, no air ride BMW; no Dynamic Steering; Generally lower quality interior mentioned in reviews.
CR rated Audi vehicles second in overall Quality behind the relatively new Equus with only 2 tested. Beauty is always in the “eye of the beholder” and many of us will always love the car we just bought. As a first time Audi owner I’m really impressed with ours. I spent more time evaluating (1.5 yrs) and testing SUV’s because we really didn’t care for the Lexus RX 350 that we had intended to buy as a replacement for my wife. The new X3 wasn’t out but we tested the prior Gen. several times. I can’t believe the GLC is selling so well-it has to be the name. BMW is always worthy of serious consideration but 0-60 time is not the most important criteria for me. We all like different things so it’s great to see serious competition and great choices!
  • The car is much nicer and has better materials inside so I don't see a reason for the decline. The SQ5 was my first Audi and this is my first BMW. I like both vehicles in different ways as I mentioned in the brief review.
  • BMW's iDrive is actually very good. I was surprised to see a native split screen with vast customization options, better nav with traffic, heads-up display with media controls and everything. I don't think you've tried the new one, but I can surely make a quick video to demonstrate why I think it's better. Of course, 'better' is subjective until it comes down to the speed of the system. I found no lag, stutters or issues to date and both the wife and I are quite happy with it. calling iDrive years behind Audi is the wrong way of looking at things. I was very skeptical about losing Android Auto but honestly, BMW made their system good enough to be okay without it.
  • Gas tank size doesn't matter to me since I rarely road trip. I'm able to get 25mpg+ hwy in EcoPro mode if I want (at 75mph), but of course, I don't use that mode unless It's a long trip.
  • I have active dampers which make the ride much more comfortable. Since BMW's are designed for runflats not the other way around fixing and harsh ride is simple: change your tires. I'm in the process of doing this and will report back
  • Reliability could very well be an issue, I can't say seeing how my car only has 1500 miles on it. BMW does provide full maintenance for the car, and mines extended to 75k miles. This includes EVERYTHING but tires, so I really wouldn't mind if it had a problem because it's all covered. Now, if this was an Alpha and lived at the shop I wouldn't be happy and would get a different vehicle.
  • GLC is very dated inside compared to both the Audi and BMW. Their exterior styling is nice, aside from that until MB brings their new dash the GLC will be very boring.
  • 0-60 times matter when you have a spirited driving habit like myself. Roads here are open, speed limits are high so I absolutely use the M40i like a sporty SUV every day. The car is much more fun to drive than my SQ5 and the SQ5 isn't short on fun.
  • BMW does have dynamic steering, I even mentioned this in my review....
  • My decision was based on about the same research ~1 year but it was all done when I bought my SQ5 and this wasn't out at the time. I believe each offers good things, the BMW simply works better for what I want currently.

Quick Reply: [Review] BMW X3 M40i