Other (Non-Audi) Autos Discussion Discussion forum for non-Audi vehicles

Audi's controversial Super Bowl ad

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I agree with gguy, good point.

The ad could have a diverse group of women and men peering through a chain link fence at a storage lot full of A4's wondering if theirs in in their.
Lol. That would make for a funny ad. I like that!
Old 02-03-2017, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The ad could have a diverse group of women and men peering through a chain link fence at a storage lot full of A4's wondering if theirs in in their.
I was trying to stay out of commenting on this thread, but you got me with that one.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to know when I can get an S5 Sportback
Old 02-03-2017, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree with gguy, good point.

The ad could have a diverse group of women and men peering through a chain link fence at a storage lot full of A4's wondering if theirs is in there.
Now that's funny.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinB656
It has been the law in the US for over 50 years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_Pay_Act_of_1963
Like many problems in our country, the problem is not that the law does not exist. The problem is that it is not enforced. Find me the last time a company was prosecuted or fined under the terms of this law. I'll wait while you are looking.....

Laws only mean something when they are enforced. Just because congress passes a law and the president signs it, does not mean that it automatically fixes the problem.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric5273
The problem is that it is not enforced. Find me the last time a company was prosecuted or fined under the terms of this law. I'll wait while you are looking.....

Laws only mean something when they are enforced. Just because congress passes a law and the president signs it, does not mean that it automatically fixes the problem.
I am an attorney with some experience in these matters and if someone files a complaint with the EEOC for pay discrimination it is taken very seriously. Trust me, employers do not want to get caught up in these cases.

It only took me five seconds to find this. There are, of course, many other cases I could point to. You should take the time to educate yourself on the subject rather than making unsubstantiated assertions

https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/newsroom/release/8-12-13.cfm
Old 02-04-2017, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow probably their stocks went down as their video 8K likes vs 44K unlikes whaaaat!?

Old 02-04-2017, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, this isn't a huge personal issue to me so I don't think I have any grudges or battles to fight over it. I can only make observations from my experiences. I don't have a daughter and I'm not an Attorney or in the field of gender equity in any way. But I don't see how anyone can live in today's world and not see the gender inequity that exists. It's huge. Now I'm pretty conservative and don't ring the democrat or liberal bell but I sure see it. Gender inequity is alive and well in the US and is even worse in some other countries. Audi of course sells cars in a lot of countries, not just in the US. In my career, women were indeed paid the same as men, it was in fact the law. But that alone doesn't mean there was gender equity. Women had a difficult time being accepted in my career by the rank and file, which was primarily male. Women had a hard time even getting hired. There was an awful lot discrimination. I ran the professional standards unit and trust me there was a lot of discrimination. That was the reason that so many laws were passed to try to achieve equality. My wife worked for a very, very large sportswear company. The company was pretty enlightened and did what they could to resolve gender equity but males were very much more likely to be hired for the better paying jobs. It was a very male dominated field. That's not to say that women weren't ever hired for the upper positions but it was pretty rare. I'm just really sort of shocked hat anyone in the US, especially someone with experience in the justice system, could say there is gender equity with any seriousness at all. Because you have a legal right to be paid the same as anyone in a specific job just doesn't mean a lot if you can not get that specific job in the first place and have to accept "lower positions" because of the same prejudice that was present that caused that law to be passed in the first place. I know we all have different experiences and we all see the world differently. Anyway, I don't see any reason for Audi not to comment on it and I thought the ad was well done. I don't know if looking at the likes and dislikes posted on you tube is a very balanced way to judge the "right" and "wrong" of something but it certainly does show that a lot of people would seem to disagree with me.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Chill it all, please! Lets don't get into political fight/debate.
My take to the ad, either Audi is trying to sell more cars to female drivers (due to the sales lag in comparison to competetors) or Audi is stupid.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I'd like Audi to build sweet cars....not run ads to that express their political views. I don't need to be told by my car company how to think on any topic...unless the topic is cars!

Hey Audi....I doubt many of your customers buy your cars because you share their political views. In fact, it's pretty clear a lot of customers think your add is dumb. Getting political is ill-advised and won't sell you a single additional car. I am not impressed...

Last edited by farmerjones; 02-04-2017 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Audi's controversial Super Bowl ad