Other (Non-Audi) Autos Discussion Discussion forum for non-Audi vehicles

Just had a little accident, need your advice!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just had a little accident, need your advice!

I was traveling on the right lane on a three lane road. Right lane was ending so I turn on my signal and saw that there was a car on my right but I knew he saw me and was able to make a close but safe lane change.

But he decided to gas up and push right next to me, which got me worked up... I'm such an idiot for getting lured into it... I stepped on my gas and I tried to enter and his passenger side tire contacted my driver rear side side skirt and rear fender right above the rear wheel.

Nothing is bent, dented or loose. The paint on skirt and lower portion of the door is burned from rubber and fender is very lightly scratched.

So this other driver gets out of the car and starts getting very aggressive in no time. I told him to let's exchange information and be on our way, he says things like I want you to pay for the damage I've done to his car (same rubber burn on paint and very minor scratched). And he also claims that curb rashes on his rims are from the incident (at which I laughed pretty hard)

So it this case, I understand I'm mostly, if not all, at fault. I can take that and call up my insurance on Monday. However, what I'm wondering is, what if that guy claims other damages that I'm not responsible to the insurance company (i.e. curb rashes).

Also, is it worth mentioning to the insurance company that he actually sped up when he saw me trying to enter his lane? How do I prove it? I don't mind being 100% at fault for my sake but I don't want him to get away with no fault claim.

Thanks for the help guys.

p.s. I'm glad this is just a rear side skirt repaint and bottom of door repaint and rear plastic fender replacement. Nothing being is broken and my rims are fine
Old 09-04-2016, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He may have gotten a little whiplash, mental anguish etc. too. Watch out!
Old 09-04-2016, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

As soon as you report you encroached in his lane, the insurance will assign your claim as at fault - a driver in another lane always has the right of way, regardless of any actions on his part. If he claims other damage, there's nothing you can really do if the insurance appraiser can't determine otherwise. Unless you have an accident forgiveness feature on your policy, be prepared for a premium bump and depending on your state regs, possible points charged to your license.