Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

*** White Smoke ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *** White Smoke ?

Alrite guys, I got a bit of a problem. I recently (5/29/04) purchased a 2000 S4 from Keys Audi dealer. The car is CPOd. (6 years or 100k miles which ever first from the original purchase date) it has 2 year left on the CPO and the car has 42,500 miles. Since I have purchased it is has been had nothing but problems. First day the MAF went bad and gave a check engine light. They replace it under warranty. Next they changed a water temp sensor one week later. They have also changed other things like the in dash radio (would not read any CDs), they also fixed minor problems with the alarm (doors would not unlock when car was turned off). All and all it has been a headache. Recently I noticed there is smoke coming out of the tail pipe, it white to me and it smells like burnt oil. It dose not do it all the time and only when the car is initially turned on in the morning is when you see the smoke. It poofs out for a bit and then stops. Dose not happen again if you turn the car off and on again, nor when you floor it. The dealer first though oil was a leaking in to the turbo and then they said it water from the EGR and now they are saying it is normal and that I should take the car and drive it for 700-1k miles and see how it is. I have notices that the smoke is getting less and less as time goes by. I know that sometimes when it is cold some "smoke" will poof out but this does not seen to be the case. The smoke smells like burnt oil. Any ideas, comments, suggestions are welcomed, I don't know if I should raise hell or take the car and see how things turn out in 700-1k miles when I have to go back for them to check the oil again?

Edy
Old 07-09-2004, 03:26 PM
CP

Default If I were you, I'd get what they said in writing.

So when it blows, they can foot the bill b/c of the advice they gave you.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Bad center section seal in turbo perhaps??
Old 07-09-2004, 11:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: If I were you, I'd get what they said in writing.

I will.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Is it white, or white/blue?

pure white = coolant
white/blue = oil

Usually, if it only does it after it's been sitting for a bit, it means bad valve stem seals, oil leaks past the seals when it sits, gets in the combustion chamber, and when you start it up, the oil gets burned, resulting in smoke.

It's definately NOT normal. Water from the EGR? I've never heard of that.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:47 PM
JWG

Default White Smoke w/o blue is coolant/water mix . . .

you usually only get it from a head or head gasket leak of some type. First, check your oil and your coolant. As oil is lighter than coolant, you will see oil (in the form of tan gunk) floating at the highest fluid level in your expansion tank. Conversely, if coolant made it into the oil, you will see coolant at the bottom of the dipstick. Usually a bad head gasket will result in oil mixing with the coolant, because the oil system runs at higher pressures than the cooling system. Thus, fluid will escape from the higher pressure system into the lower pressure system.

Another sign of a head gasket problem may be seen under the intake manifold--check with mirrors and a powerful flashlight if you can find a fluid leak where the heads mate to the block.

Worst case scenario, you may have a cracked head; if the engine ever over-heated due to a lack of coolant, it could crack the head. I would keep a very close eye on the coolant level in the expansion tank. Check it every morning before you start the car. If the coolant level goes down you have a leak somewhere. Unfortunately, the white smoke in the morning is consistent with a cracked head. When the engine heats-up and the metal expands, the leak slows and often becomes unnoticeable.

On the lighter side of things, you may simply have a ****e-load of water in the gas tank. Run a can of BG 44k though 1.5 tanks of fuel (just fill-up, pour in BG 44k can, and fill-up at 1/2 full mark).

If nothing else, you (if not you, you should request that the dealership) should "read" the spark plugs for clues about the quality of the engine combusion. Remember, the spark plugs are the only easily removable parts of the engine exposed to the combustion process. They can tell you a heck of a lot about what's going on in each cylinder.

Good luck.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re: Def. try another dealer hopefully nearby.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this the same dealer that gave it the CPO inspection?

To me it looks like another RUBBER STAMP CPO job.

There have been reports of many dealers takeing slug cars in trade and not inspecting them. But, giving them the CPO OK (fraud) In doing so, the dealer does not have to spend their $$ to bring the car up to specs prior to the sale. Now you find the faults and Audi pays for the repairs.

I'd keep a strong record of what is going on and give a call to AoA about it. I'd also have the car gone over by another dealer.