AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Tuning (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/performance-tuning-10/)
-   -   01 a6 2.8L, idle problems? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/performance-tuning-10/01-a6-2-8l-idle-problems-2900159/)

emonroe 05-07-2016 01:49 PM

01 a6 2.8L, idle problems?

Hey guys just joined the forums, bought my first audi and now I'm having issues, was wondering if this is place to go to find help.

When I'm in park or neutral it runs and idles fine but as soon as I put it in gear it's idles kinda too low making it almost sputter a little.... anyone have any experience with something like this?

emonroe 05-08-2016 12:54 PM

No help?

N e one?

Originally Posted by emonroe (Post 24809062)
Hey guys just joined the forums, bought my first audi and now I'm having issues, was wondering if this is place to go to find help.

When I'm in park or neutral it runs and idles fine but as soon as I put it in gear it's idles kinda too low making it almost sputter a little.... anyone have any experience with something like this?

Kris Hansen 05-08-2016 04:52 PM

Is the check engine light on? If so, you'll want to find out what it's complaining about.

If you give it some gas, does it smooth out and run?

emonroe 05-08-2016 11:44 PM

Yes check engine blinks until driving for a bit, sounds like misfire, I couldn't see a plug in to hook a comp up to, yes once you give gas all smooth

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen (Post 24809534)
Is the check engine light on? If so, you'll want to find out what it's complaining about.

If you give it some gas, does it smooth out and run?

emonroe 05-08-2016 11:45 PM

Check engine blinks until driving for a bit then just stays solid*

Originally Posted by emonroe (Post 24809641)
Yes check engine blinks until driving for a bit, sounds like misfire, I couldn't see a plug in to hook a comp up to, yes once you give gas all smooth

Kris Hansen 05-09-2016 11:48 AM

Ok, well I'd avoid driving as much as you can with that light blinking. Check all of the spark plugs, wires, etc.

The OBD2 connector is under the dash near the hood release.

emonroe 05-09-2016 02:12 PM

Ok thx, last owner tried to change plugs n wires, I'm gonna check more into it... another person told me to change the pvc valve and clean throttle bodys, guess it's a common problem?

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen (Post 24809912)
Ok, well I'd avoid driving as much as you can with that light blinking. Check all of the spark plugs, wires, etc.

The OBD2 connector is under the dash near the hood release.

Kris Hansen 05-09-2016 03:02 PM

The PCV on those old cars won't cause a missfire like it can on the turbo cars. Cleaning the throttle is an idle thing, not an under load thing. I'd scan it, see which cylinders are missing, and address.

emonroe 05-09-2016 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen (Post 24809985)
The PCV on those old cars won't cause a missfire like it can on the turbo cars. Cleaning the throttle is an idle thing, not an under load thing. I'd scan it, see which cylinders are missing, and address.

It seems like a idle thing that's going on only sounds messed up in drive or reverse, until I give it gas, seems like it idles too low

Kris Hansen 05-09-2016 03:13 PM

well, in that case, give the throttle body a good cleaning. Also worth checking the MAF, which is a key component to the whole running. If the MAF and throttle get out of whack with each other, strange things happen with the 2.8.

but still, I'd want to see what the codes are.