Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

for 1.8t quattro manual KONI COILOVERS users .. what rates are you running? front/rear?

Old 07-31-2001, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default for 1.8t quattro manual KONI COILOVERS users .. what rates are you running? front/rear?

.. for street conditions like any major metro area say .. down town san fran, houston, etc. cracks and bumps everywhere.

i'm going to be purchasing real soon just wanted a few opinions.

tia ppl
Old 07-31-2001, 01:31 PM

Default specs...

I set the spring collars to the recommended distance from the bottom of the shock based on the install slips included with each set of shocks. I used the 'avg' of the recomendations, because they had windows of distance...example: 275 - 315 MM (front) 70-95 MM (rear) --these may be diff than whats in the instructions, but hey!!
As for the damping..this one is important, because if you totally screw up the height settings with the springs, its no bigee to fix. If you screw the damping up, you will basically have to remove the shocks to re-set them. I , again, used the recommended settings from the instructions, but on the fronts, I set them one notch stiffer - to compensate for the big brakes up front. Rob Fox at MotoPersona (Lombard IL) did a great job of installing these for me, even though I did not purchase them from MotoP !!
- personal note -- I think C/O's are great for those who;
a. want to show their car and get a slammed look.
b. NEED to raise their car for winter travels.
c. participate in autoX or track events RARELY
d. run several sets of different tires/wheels.
I think that those who basically want a lower look all the time, live in nice climates, track their cars ALOT should look into a more RACE setup than a STREET tuned C/O setup. I have found the limits of these C/Os on the track...better than Audi Sport Suspension, but I get destroyed by cars with real RACE suspension setups from HR, Koni-Vortrag, Bilstein, etc....
Old 08-02-2001, 03:43 PM

Default thanks for the info .. man .. aw's not what it used to be

ya .. i'm aware how critical it is to get the dampening right the 1st time.

i'm getting coilovers for all 4 reasons that you listed .. sadly being in houston i won't see the snowy mountains as much as i used to.. but i'm not going to be here forever. =)

ooooo .. i cant wait. jump jump jump
Old 08-06-2001, 03:04 AM
Elder Member

Default really? You're saying a bilstein/HR race springs are better than koni coilovers?

Thanks for your input..

regards,
Liam